Repair or rebuild a hydraulic floor jack?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I have a ~30 year old hydraulic floor jack that I bought.............about 30 years ago. I think it's one of the first low budget jacks with a sheetmetal frame out there but, by today's standards, it's a heavy duty piece.

Here's the deal. The cylinder needs to be rebuilt and I have not done this before. Anybody got any pointers?

Also, there is a giant nut at the end of the cylinder, maybe 2 1/2 or 3 inches. Does that need to come off? The only thing I have that big is a pipe wrench.

I rebuilt an old jack too, worked fine and then failed catastrophically, blowing fluid everywhere and dropping the complete rear end on the floor, almost crushing my hand. I threw it away right after.

I got a old Sears floor jack must be 25 years now....maybe more, that thing gets a load of Jack OIL with some sealer in it, every once in a while...lasts a good long time, acts like a cat for some weeks, then settles down next year add some more...I have NEVER seen any hydraulic jack fail cat ass trophically....

but THAT would hurt a bunch, and yes, since it's leaking I use stands now a daze....didn't always used to....

:shocking::beer:

Yes the nut has to come off. You unthread the nut and pull the rod out.

If you don't have a wrench that big you can make one by welding some flat stock together.

I got it all apart today. I cannot find the seals in any catalog but they don't look super worn. The fluid that came out looked like it was made from dirt, light oil and a little water.

Just for an experiment, I am going to refill with fresh fluid and see how it works.

Gene, what is the sealer you are talking about?

Found at some parts house, labeled JACK OIL, with sealer....is about all I can tell you, in with the oddball oils and crap....I dunno jack shit about it....:bonkers::waxer:

there are two places to fill on my jack, one in back that is most obvious, but up front with the handle upright, between two hunks of metal, down lo on the hydraulic block is another filler screw....I use a tiny funnel with it, and pour slowly....

Last edited:
If you are having trouble finding the seals I would go to a local hydraulic shop. One that rebuilds cylinders. They should be able to help.

I took it all apart, refilled with new oil and.........................

It works!

Just like brand new:bounce: