friends 73 iinterior

nifty

this is "puds" 73.... he built it himself.
this is an old photo. he has now added electric windows, new door trims and central locking.
he knocked all this up in his home garage.... the dash is digital which he also made himself. hes an instument fitter by trade.
carshow004.jpg

maybe a little hard to see, but check out the hand brake lever.... he also made that from a few pieces of scrap alloy welded together and hand polished....when he finshed the dash and consol he swore NEVER again would he work with fibreglass... makes him itch just looking at it now., but its a bit like eating kfc.... its rubbish, and you swear you will never do it again, but you always do.

maybe a little hard to see, but check out the hand brake lever.... he also made that from a few pieces of scrap alloy welded together and hand polished....when he finshed the dash and consol he swore NEVER again would he work with fibreglass... makes him itch just looking at it now., but its a bit like eating kfc.... its rubbish, and you swear you will never do it again, but you always do.

Switch to McDonalds.....:pprrtt:

You buddy there sure as hell does NICE WORK, wish he move to Orange Park Florida, I could schmooze some favors off him....:1st::beer::beer::shocking:

I like that center console.......CLEAN.

Nice work..... :thumbs:

also hard to see is the alloy switch bezel he made from aluminium ...its just about the gear shift, hidden by the steer wheel... has 4 switches in it, wipers,lights,interior light, and the last i cant think what he uses it for.was made from a flat plate, with 4 sides tig welded on, then ground,filed and smoothed to a shine.

I've always wanted to learn about fiberglass fabrication. Do you have any photos that show how this is done ? It looks very good.

i will see him at work tonight and ask him...he will hopefully bring some pics in of the door trims, but he explained it to me how he did it last night.
he started with a piece of plywood cut to the same size as the original trims...
attached a small u channel gutter to the top to slip into the window runner to hold in place, then mattad and resined the wood....
kept building the thickness, then gave a rough sand to find the low/high spots...
the lows were then filled with a misture of glass, resin and CAR PUTTY to make sanding easier, then a coat of body filler from a pressure pack spray can, more sanding, more putty, more sanding... until its smooth and uniform.
under coated then painted.... IT BUBBLED.... sanded the paint off, and sprayed again...this time it turns out ok... trouble he thinks was it was a warm day, then a cool change came through...temp dropped of about 10 degrees real quick and he thinks that may have stuffed the paint...
hehehehe... he also learnt another valuable lesson.... "DONT SAND BACK FIBREGLASS WITH SHORT PANTS, SHORT SLEEVED SHIRT, AND NO SHOES OR SOCKS...
he STILL itching...

ok... i got the pics of the door trims tonight...this is before they have been buffed out.
the raised section is for the electric window switches.under the arm rests pud has installed lights... that will shone out onto the road when the doors are open..
vettedoor004.jpg

vettedoor005.jpg