April 1st virus. What's the opinions here?

Just curious what everybody's thoughts are on this virus I keep hearing about on the TV.

It has the world's computer experts on edge. Although they know it will activate April 1st, they don't know what it will do, if anything.
The guy/guys are so good, they still don't know country of origin, and even when Microsoft issues a patch, it's rewritten and corrected by the hacker in less than 30 minutes,
They say he is the best they have ever seen.

Here's my theory on this, I think it's all a big scam.

I think the companies who write the anti virus software are in on it, creating their own market. With the economy in the tank surely a lot of people are not going to update their software or even run cracked apps. What better way to scare them into renewing their subscriptions than this. Sure MS put out an emergency patch for it but still, April 1st has passed, nothing has happened yet.

Here's my theory on this, I think it's all a big scam.

I think the companies who write the anti virus software are in on it, creating their own market. With the economy in the tank surely a lot of people are not going to update their software or even run cracked apps. What better way to scare them into renewing their subscriptions than this. Sure MS put out an emergency patch for it but still, April 1st has passed, nothing has happened yet.

While I certainly hope the business ethics of the antivirus software companies are higher than your speculation here, I can't diagree with the logic of your argument.

There is a guy across the river from me here, Phil Franz, engineer, and computer geek/guru for some decades now....met him in my frustrating attempts to get a Mega Squirt computer to run my car, he has bailed out me and wife several times.....if wifey poo can't fix it, he comes over for 60 bux last time, and in 3 minit's had her machine doing more than it EVER did, and faster too....that fucker's good, I give him THAT.....

knows more/faster than anyone I have ever met about computers.....maybe my ex/the kid's mom MAY know more...maybe....but it's a fair contest....

:thumbs: