Cental AC Question

SmokinBBC

There is a PVC pipe which comes from the portion of the system that is in my crawl space. The PVC pipe drains the condensation to the yard.

The PVC goes into a large metal box (part of the forced air blower system?). It looks like it has a leak. The water is just puddling up there where the PVC goes into the box. The leak must be inside the box since the PVC pipe is ok. :crap:

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks.

There is a PVC pipe which comes from the portion of the system that is in my crawl space. The PVC pipe drains the condensation to the yard.

The PVC goes into a large metal box (part of the forced air blower system?). It looks like it has a leak. The water is just puddling up there where the PVC goes into the box. The leak must be inside the box since the PVC pipe is ok. :crap:

Thanks.

According to Clutchdust, it's Chinese crap.
According to Jsup, it's union crap.
According to Twin_turbo, it's German crap.
According to Turtlevette, it's over engineered crap.
According to Mr Vette, it's regulated too much.
According to JPhil, it's alien crap from area 51.

Condensation pan if I get you right.

That's where it drips as the humidity is taken out of the air

Once a year you should blow out that PVC pipe to make sure leaves didn't clog it or bugs got in there.

The puddled water should just evaporate.

It's normal to have water in there. Just make sure that PVC pipe is clear. Snake it, blow it out with air. That's typically how it's checked.

Union crap no doubt.

Thanks.

And according to B2B it's overcompensated execs:crylol:

Thanks.

And according to B2B it's overcompensated execs:crylol:

Damn straight. You'll get a BONUS for that one.

The pipe commonly gets clogged then the condensation backs up and looks like a leak.

Condensation pan if I get you right.

That's where it drips as the humidity is taken out of the air

Once a year you should blow out that PVC pipe to make sure leaves didn't clog it or bugs got in there.

The puddled water should just evaporate.

It's normal to have water in there. Just make sure that PVC pipe is clear. Snake it, blow it out with air. That's typically how it's checked.

Union crap no doubt.

Hate to sound stupid on this, but I never had a central unit before. This one is 10yo. Back in Chgo, I had window units.

I'll snake the pipe to see if it's blocked. Can't find any diagrams on the web. Wonder what it looks like in there. Is the condensation pan made of metal...galvanized?

Thanks.

The condensate will turn into a "jello" like substance and plug everything up. Nothing can be done to prevent that.
Take off the cover near where the pcv goes into the cabinet. That should expose the evaporator coil. If it's a quality unit 10 years old then there should be a small connected plastic pan under each section of the "a" coil, "w" coil, slanted coil or whatever config you have that has a threaded fitting to the pvc drain. Earlier, or cheaper units have galvanized that could also be rotted thru. This whole drain assembly gets filled with the jello and overflows.
Call an a/c outfit and they will remove the coil and recharge your system,
Or a lot cheaper option, take a garden hose to it. Pull disconnect or breaker first.
A quick fix is to pour chlorine or bleach into the tray, it will dissolve the jello, and flush, but better,
It is a good time to clean the coil too, saves big bucks on electric bill. If you can't locate specific coil cleaner (acid) (can also use the acid type mag wheel cleaner, but it is not nearly as good) then spray as much of the coil as you can with oven cleaner, let sit and clean with water hose. Don't bend the fins.
The pvc pipe probably also clogged. Best is to use the water hose from the outside end or put a pvc tee fitting at the cabinet with a removeable plug at the top for the hose so you can blow it clean from the cabinet side.

Let everything drip dry as long as plausable before powering.

You can get some tablets to put in the drain channels at the coil that prevent the buildup, but here we just pour in chlorine. Should be done once a year or when required. Depending on use.

Sounds messy and it is, but just deal with it. Use a regular adj spray end on the hose for blast pressure. The inside insulation will get wet, just don't blast it with the water. It will dry quiclky when the air is used. Use a wet vac. Only way to get it really clean. I have even fiberglassed a pan underneath the bottom air plenum with another drain pipe to the outside to make this cleanup less messy. But here we use the a/c almost daily all year and this is a common part of maintenance.

Have fun. :yahoo:

Everything Noonie said above, plus, make sure your drain pipe/condensate pipe is not 'trapped', this can happen with age and if a tie point to whatever let go and allowed the pipe to sag....if you notice, there probably is a dip in the line, formed from plastic, about3-4" worth, that is supposed to be full of water, condensate, it is a real problem along with rest of the pipe, if the fan is above the coil , or to put it another way, sux the air through the coil, then into the plenum/pipes......the better way to do it is fan, coil, then plenum/pipes....

but for some reason they never do that here in Florida...it was the way my gas furnace was set up in Maryland....

so if you have a water trap because the fan arrangement is the first, with the fan drawing air though the coil, you have to be super careful about the rest of the pipe after that dip/trap....

when I moved the air handler, I had all sorts of troubles, and so my wife's son looked at the install and spotted the problem immediately....

I had a unintentional double trap in the line....the drain hose dipped again, forming another trap, and the water would not flow....what I did so then was to drill another hole to act as a air gap in the line....

you maybe want to shine a light over that entire pipe length to be sure it's not come loose or something....

:harhar::cussing: