Lars: Delco distributor weights/spring interchange question

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Lars,

Just curious about an item, and thought you might have some insight on it. I've got a couple packets of weights and springs, and the packet says 55-68 distributors. Was there a change in '69, or are these just incorrectly labeled?

thanks,
Mike

Mike -
The springs will interchange with no problem - you can pretty much use any spring combination that produces the curve you want. I even use the Mr. Gasket (p/n 928G) springs in the MSD distributors by opening up the end hook holes just a tad. Further, the 2 springs don't need to be identical - you can mix and match the 2 springs as needed to produce your desired curve - the spring force from the two springs is cumulative on the curve. A common "racing trick" back in the late 60s and early 70s was to drive the car to the track, pop one of the advance springs off the distributor after putting some race gas in the car at the track, and running the car with the "fast" curve in it. We'd then pop the missing spring back on it before putting pump gas in the tank again.

Bottom line - you can use any spring that you can fit over the pins that produces the advance curve you want.

Lars