C4 Lowering Options

Shillinger

I would like to lower the front of my 1990 about 1-1 1/2 inch and the back maybe about an inch. I think the front and rear could be done by reworking the spring mounts and longer bolts. But I don't want to do something that will affect the suspension negatively. For example I have seen discussions at Vettemod in the C3 section that caution people to not have the halfshafts level because of ujoint failure. Just a quick look under my car makes me think that if I lower the back, the halfshafts will be level. As far as the front I am concerned about bump steer problems from lowering.

This forum seems like the best place to ask this question. There's a lot of suspension knowledge here.

The rear is VERY easy to do with the bolts and will take you less than 30 minutes. If you do not want the rear really low, buy the kit from Mid America. If you want it really low (top of tire in fender) go someplace and order longer bolts than is offered by Mid America.

The front is not really "hard" to do it just takes a LOT of time to get the spring out. I used the kit from mid america for the front and I really like the way the car sits. I would suggest plan on a FULL day to do this and while you are in there do a good cleaning on all the suspension parts. The only thing is MAKE SURE you have all the old rubber mount off the spring and it is scuffed up good and use a really good epoxy to put the supplied smaller pads on. There are some guys that did not do this and the pads came loose from the spring.

Good Luck :drink:

I am kind of familiar with the lowering methods out there. I just don't want to do something that has a negative effect on the car. Like the bumpsteer or halfshaft issues. Has anyone who has done this had issues with the car after lowering?

I am kind of familiar with the lowering methods out there. I just don't want to do something that has a negative effect on the car. Like the bumpsteer or halfshaft issues. Has anyone who has done this had issues with the car after lowering?

OH I am sorry I misunderstood what you was asking and the answer is NO! As long as you do not go lower in the front (shave MORE off the replacement pads as shown in the video) you will have 0 problems in the front. As for the rear, you can set the car on the ground and still have a good half shalf angle. I am going another 1/2 inch in the rear and the car will sit level and still not bottom out the suspension on the bump stops.

I have had mine well over tripple digits many times and it gets beat around pretty good on the track and have had 0 issue. The only issue I found when I lowered it and put in all the poly bushings was it increased the understeer going in corners.

I guess my question was a little misleading. I'm not really sure if I will go with the VBP kit for the front or try one of the kits on the front. My impression is that getting a 1" drop with one of the kits is the maximum, don't know. Even in the link above one of the guys showed where his lowered spring was rubbing the frame.

Anyone know the max you can get from one of these kits?

I ordered the front and read kit from Mid America and the rear longer bolts in the kit took it down 1.5 inches. I did not measure the front however here is a pic of how mine sits in the front after installing the kit per the instructions. he red C4 sitting next to my car is stock height with the same size wheels as I am running. You can compare the 2 to see how much it lowered the car.
DSC03963.jpg

I ordered the front and read kit from Mid America and the rear longer bolts in the kit took it down 1.5 inches. I did not measure the front however here is a pic of how mine sits in the front after installing the kit per the instructions. he red C4 sitting next to my car is stock height with the same size wheels as I am running. You can compare the 2 to see how much it lowered the car.
DSC03963.jpg

That looks good. I wouldn't want to go lower than that.

Any issues with bumpsteer?