C-3 Steering control valve POS

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Okay, in 10 years or so, I have gone thru 3 or 4 of these POS's. I'm done. Has anyone tried the new repo ones? Any comments? Source?
It just kills me the rebuilds last 2 years or so and start leaking. :cussing:

i put a new one on a few months back. i'm concerned about how many times these things can be rebuilt. The moving parts wear out or get pitted after 30-40 years.

I'll let you know in 8-10 years if it starts leaking.

Last edited:
The damn design was meant for a truck, and as a afterthought install in a vette....

time to modernize.....no way around it....

and with modern tires....the shituation is much more noticed....

:smash::smash::cussing:

Jeff,
The problem is when they get rebuilt they only replace the seals, not the internal hard parts. Everything wears. There's only two companies making new valves. LoneStar makes the best one. Every valve is pressurized, adjusted, and checked for leaks. If you need one I can get you a good price.
Mike

Jeff,
The problem is when they get rebuilt they only replace the seals, not the internal hard parts. Everything wears. There's only two companies making new valves. LoneStar makes the best one. Every valve is pressurized, adjusted, and checked for leaks. If you need one I can get you a good price.
Mike

Send me the details. I believe you have my e-mail addy. Do you take Visa?:friends:

You bet!
Drive it on over to the shop and I'll stick it right on!
Mike

What are the symptons of a bad control valve? I have zero leaks but also zero power steering at low speed. The belt is tight but at low speed I have to blip the throttle to turn the wheel. All parts are 10 years old but only about 250 miles on the whole deal and always stored indoors.

Someone said the pump could have an incorrect valve but I had a hard time justifying it. Related or start a new thread?

What are the symptons of a bad control valve? I have zero leaks but also zero power steering at low speed. The belt is tight but at low speed I have to blip the throttle to turn the wheel. All parts are 10 years old but only about 250 miles on the whole deal and always stored indoors.

Someone said the pump could have an incorrect valve but I had a hard time justifying it. Related or start a new thread?

Mine is just leaking. Start a new thread titled "Att Jim Shea." He will respond.

The vanes in your pump are worn out. It has nothing to do with the pressure valve inside the pump. If the valve was bad you would never have power steering.
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll take that apart next and see what is going on inside. I had it apart to powder coat it - maybe I fouled it up.

Got the new valve today

Got the NEW, not rebuilt valve made by Lone Star in Texas from Tracdog today. Looks like a nice unit. I will let you guys know how it installs/holds up.
349d8044adb867.jpg
349d8044b6174e.jpg
349d8044bbbca2.jpg

Funny, that is the valve Mercruiser used on their Alpha One outdrives...

maybe others too....

:bounce::clobbered:

Stud movement

Hello all,

Just found this forum and I like it so far! My question is how much side to side movement is normal in the stud? I have a rebuilt unit from Ecklers. It's a long drawn out project car that finally on the road and my steering is sloppy. The only movement seems to be this stud so I'm guessing it's junk??

The budget is not available for a brand new unit but how are the rebuilt valves from these guys?

Thanks!
John

Welcome John!

The consensus here seems to be that the rebuild units are not that good. Maybe Bird will check in on his new Lonestar unit.

Hello all,

Just found this forum and I like it so far! My question is how much side to side movement is normal in the stud? I have a rebuilt unit from Ecklers. It's a long drawn out project car that finally on the road and my steering is sloppy. The only movement seems to be this stud so I'm guessing it's junk??

The budget is not available for a brand new unit but how are the rebuilt valves from these guys?

Thanks!
John

Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

I am not a fan of the stock steering setup from the git go...it's fine enough with stock wheels/tires....but if you upgrade them to 17+rims....you will feel the need to ditch the stock steering...:rain::beer:

I have my eye on Steeroids rack and pinion but seeing as I can't pull togeather enough $ for a new valve that will have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

john

Hi John,
Welcome to VetteMod.
The problem with most rebuilt valves is just the seals are replaced. Not the internal hard parts. Even if you replace everything inside you still may have a worn housing. The internal adjustment of the stud and seats is very limited.
Let me know if I can be of any help with parts.
Mike