Sugar Bush

mdbelanger

Almost broke my 3rd.....member
Been spending the last 9 days in the maple sugar bush. I have had this for 20 years now, not going to be a good season. But enough to pay the taxes on 110 acres and make few $$.

Looking up the bush.
y1pWgB5HvywyqeM8JWVaXbjSu3ZcvaVAcRUEoOJAn93XFDgtSffnBtA5ZgFvbRY6npjKemlq7rq53dy60SxWxS4dtHuiuhP40MJ

The sugar house with a bit of steam coming out.
y1ptKZwwcD7zN4tTEGEHbaN7XFQq44rN1VroMvuLIKFcuEMzVLlbw2w9SoE92GmhIgO1M7kuXBSoNBux3UGvQfqlE9ZqBJHC3Sk

Front of the boiling arch. Sap holding tanks to the left and right with a few out back.
y1ptpTlmFlZ_L7Z0bISgl8TorzTFt6gbSCX_VNcCdlPFnv0nGaacPSiMn6HoN9c--jvrfrTqsXZa02nScNMSAWqoTRZ3tMy5NvI

Back pan boiling, she is hot enough that there is an eight inch rolling boil there.
y1pAwPnlczGjAM1trYoOiZv-WWybEodvcBvEDmpS5OChaZ-d3Y3AbBkW1T__1v8yj_NspmE1euV83z_UVFbjdRuqvGLlRv-jEBi

Front pan, where the final boil is to make Maple Syrup.
y1p4atWH6FhWRpyOem_BXlkGWROO8bf9Eo_aamlQnZSnR12bgaln-i1YWORl_o6o-eXYhFdJp8xMCrpIoxsi8hVl1cpQ4DBNrmd

Drawing off maple syrup. Visegrips are holding on a prefilter. Then filtered again prior canning. Boiling 35 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup.
y1pZSsMwvNe17IQIJxBH1F7idAqxqdYjTlPBW5cXR7-hgYxOe5TlPeGxBPtCB2la-s3lrR1fgPsceRdoa0LRtHM0QmzZBWz08Ca

The fire box, will burn about 15 cords of wood in a month. Shove 4 foot long peices in there. Also there are blowers in the back of the fire box to make her burn hotter.
y1p21jUmXNWidgOVJWr2pFZug7BEl3U_xJcf--eiVOnyLmHpzc5Rsx8uGdgr8z5jLlxwDlO_cZas_J6s5oaUSRZJ2VfFXNgPuJI

Made a few hundred gallons so far.

Michael.

Mike,
I MUST have some. PM me how to buy some from you. I LOVE real maple syrup.

Mike,
I LOVE real maple syrup.

I like the real stuff too, thats why we buy Log Cabin, Aunt Jemimah or Mrs Butterworth :sick:...actually the wife and kids won`t use the real stuff, I get it all to myself ($8 a quart or is it $8 for 12oz?) and they eat the maple "flavored" stuff...

If you are selling them...then me know as well:nuts:

Given the amount of sap required, how do you collect it all? Looks like back breaking work.

How old is the work house? Looks like a generational thing.

Do you use the land for hunting? The deer on the back of the vette is still one of my all time favorite pics!

If you are selling them...then me know as well:nuts:

Given the amount of sap required, how do you collect it all? Looks like back breaking work.

How old is the work house? Looks like a generational thing.

Do you use the land for hunting? The deer on the back of the vette is still one of my all time favorite pics!

Yes selling them. In QTs........1/2 gallons and gallons.
The grade is "A dark amber", has stronger flavor than the "Fancy".

15 years ago I had a thousand buckers hung on the trees. That was nut busting work. and drove a dozer around with suction pump and hose sucking buckets empty into a holding tank behind the dozer. To bring it down.
Now its all pipe line running to the trees. First weekend of March I take my crew up and we drill the tree and drive in the spout that has a hose hooked to it, end of April we pull them and back flush the lines to clean them.
Over five miles of pipe line on that hill, and still need more. I'll get somemore pic.

The sugar house is 20 years old, built as cheap as possible. Even used some trees for the long beams. Its only used about three months out of the year.

Hunting on this land sucks. The woods are to open, no under brush for the deer to sneak around. Keep it all knocked down due to the pipelines.

This is my other place in Vermont where I grew-up. I bought this from my folks when the farm wasn't doing very well. The Sugar House I build due to the other one was in the middle of the hill, them pipelines won't flow up. I get pics of that shit hole of where it started.

This is Vermont Maple Syrup:

Quarts = $16.00 4 pounds.
1/2 Gallon = $28.00 7.5 pounds.
Gallon = $50.00 13 pounds.

Plus shipping. I would be shipping them from New Hampshire. Zip 03262.
I have never UPS this before so it would be new for me. Don't know the cost.

Never gave it a thought some of you folk would be interested in some.

Thanks Michael.

Last edited:
Mike,
I MUST have some. PM me how to buy some from you. I LOVE real maple syrup.

Me too!:beer:

Danny

PM me your your name and address and the size you would like. I'll ship give you a tracking #. When you get it send a payment.
I have no clue what UPS charges at this time.

Michael.

My girl just straightened my ass out on how to do the shipping. Worst case NH to CA, 1 gallon, about $25.00.

Last edited:
Thanks for the PMs guys. Diving into the bush tonight :pprrtt: Boiling and canning for you folks in the next few days. I'll still be on line, I have a dish up there just need to take the box with me.:thumbs:

Michael.

Thanks I have all your PMs, please don't feel bad if I have not answered them
there has been quite a few. Will be canning tonight may even take pics of filling the bottles. I'll stay off the beer:smash::smash::eek:

Michael.

Whoooooo-Hooooooooooo I just got my syrup from UPS. Man is it good. I've never tasted any syrup that good. It has a unique flavor that I'm sure is only found in a mastercraftsman's work. Oh my goodness, it's good. That money should be in your hot little hand in just a day or so. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have this distinct urge for pancakes for dinner..............with some good Tennessee Pride hot sausage, dredged thru that syrup.

Great stuff,
Tank

Whoooooo-Hooooooooooo I just got my syrup from UPS. Man is it good. I've never tasted any syrup that good. It has a unique flavor that I'm sure is only found in a mastercraftsman's work. Oh my goodness, it's good. That money should be in your hot little hand in just a day or so. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have this distinct urge for pancakes for dinner..............with some good Tennessee Pride hot sausage, dredged thru that syrup.

Great stuff,
Tank

YUP....Sunday AM Flapjacks....yum yum....:devil::bounce:

Great stuff,
Tank

Mine came on Friday. Did the pancake breakfast on Easter morning....man that stuff is tasty! Even the kids commented on how good it is!

Thanks Michael!

Last edited:
Mine came Sat. I should get the check out today. I can't wait to have some.:thumbs: