Compressor Question

Jsup

Friend of mine has this compressor:

359185921.jpg

359185924.jpg

359185927.jpg

It's ugly, but it works, and kicks ass. I looked around and it seems like compressors with these kinds of heads are VERY expensive, like $3000 and up.

Any idea WTF this thing is worth? Anything? $25? $250?

I dunno, but about 40 years ago one like it was stolen from behind the TV shop I was manager at....we used it for blowing the dust out of TV sets before we worked on them.....the thing was outside, and wedged into a super tight space with the delivery trucks overnight for security...well....

they had to take it apart, but the whole damn thing, tank and all was gone one morning....we have no clue how in hell they got it outta there.....as the space available was smaller than the compressor parts....

sky hook I guess....

:bonkers::flash::mad:

It's ugly, but it works, and kicks ass. I looked around and it seems like compressors with these kinds of heads are VERY expensive, like $3000 and up.

Are those AFR heads?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are those AFR heads?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was talking about the V-Twin style heads, but I betcha if we strapped on a set of AFR that thing would launch the space shuttle.

AFR? Looks like an SOS pad for an air filter. Hey, if it works and will maintain air pressure with enough volume for what you want to do, it's worth whatever you can get it for.

Should be a id plate on it like the motor. Find the cfm.
Check non original motor id plate. That might be your minimum price.

A rivited pressure tank, that's really old.

Not that rusted. Just dirty. Been inside a heated garage. The garage is dusty from a dirt driveway that isn't paved. Needs a hosing off but nothing serious.

That's the worst pic ever you can see of that 10 minutes cleaning and should look 100% better.. I helped clean out the garage and it kicked dust everywhere. So it's even dirtier than that.

Last edited:
problem with compressors that old is that all the water that has condensed in it over the last bazillion years has rusted the tank out. if you get it for a really good deal, you could always find another tank. as it sits, there just isn't any way i would shell out more than $100, but that's only if i really needed that much air. personally, i'd be pretty leery of it just because of the age. no way you're finding replacement parts. the only upside is it was made when people built shit to last. check craigslist for one that might be newer and reasonably priced.

also noticed it looks like it has a 3 phase motor. you putting it in your own shop? what power do you have available?

Last edited:
problem with compressors that old is that all the water that has condensed in it over the last bazillion years has rusted the tank out. if you get it for a really good deal, you could always find another tank. as it sits, there just isn't any way i would shell out more than $100, but that's only if i really needed that much air. personally, i'd be pretty leery of it just because of the age. no way you're finding replacement parts. the only upside is it was made when people built shit to last. check craigslist for one that might be newer and reasonably priced.

also noticed it looks like it has a 3 phase motor. you putting it in your own shop? what power do you have available?

Actually, just cleaning up a garage. Wanted to know if it was worth anything or just pitch it. If it's worth $75, well it's a few beers.

I did notice that the new versions of these are going for $3K and better, so I figured it had to have some value.

Grab it!!! here in my neck-o-da-woods most dairy farms have them and I don't
pay much for em, $50.00 to 75 and that one is not encased in cow shit. As to the tank, drill a few holes in the water line, to check then weld em close if ok. Most of the time they time they have milky oil and water with little damage.

Michael.