Door rust.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
The manor of rust on these doors is strange to say the least....

as the stainless strip on the outside of the window edge the one with the rubber strip on it, and it's mate against/overlaying the fiberglass....well it hid a rusty ledge of metal up top along that window....both sides....driver's side worst than pass......

but the rest of the doors are fine...not a ounce of rust anywhere showing....go figger....

well anyway, hard to get in there to get at all the pitting, there is NO through holes, just looks like hell and so need to do something with it....

I have a 15? y/o can of POR 15 on the shelf, never opened....so how to apply and is it likely any good??? there is not really loose flakes, just pitted....

do I have to like sand blast it to use POR15??

:clobbered:

POR15 needs a rough surface to stick to, no clean metal... . I've used it but wasn't too impressed to be honest, I believe a good epoxy primer is just as good or better than this stuff.

POR15 needs a rough surface to stick to, no clean metal... . I've used it but wasn't too impressed to be honest, I believe a good epoxy primer is just as good or better than this stuff.

If I had it to do all over again, I would use epoxy.

I've had good luck with POR-15, but wouldn't use it on any part exposed to direct sunlight, unless it was top-coated per mfg instructions. Epoxy paint after cleaning the metal is what I'd do also.

I've had good luck with POR-15, but wouldn't use it on any part exposed to direct sunlight, unless it was top-coated per mfg instructions. Epoxy paint after cleaning the metal is what I'd do also.

Agreed. Epoxy is the way to go.

Danny