Me and Doug Gonna Rock it Like It's Hot

Vettezuki

Ok, that's probably not the most descriptive title, but aha, you're reading now.

BACKGROUND
I have a 1982 Corvette. With a Heads and Cam LSx, T56 and other bits of wholesome goodness. The engine is pretty stout.

Here's my Dyno Run from the first Bird Run

Here's my Dyno Sheet from said pull
BirdRunDyno1.jpg

ENTER FRUSTRATION
While it's a hoot to have a car that will cross into triple digits in under 10 seconds from a standing start, it's a bummer to know some of this is with its hands tied behind its back. What do I mean?

The engine is supposedly only 11.1:1. However, when doing the dyno tune, the tuner (very capable) could only keep it safe by pulling out a hell of a lot of timing. The tune was on 91. As I recall, I believe total timing ended up being 18 degrees. No, I'm not exaggerating. That's what I remember. He said something to the effect of wow, we should be able to get this up to 28 at least. . .

ENTER TORCO
Torco is awesome. Small amounts took me from knocking on hot days in the summer to slamming at will. Torco is very protective of their formula, but they claim 1 quart will raise 10 gallons of 91 to just over 100. (It ain't cheap.) Anyway, not to get OT. I run Torco now. This means I almost certainly have quite a bit of power sitting on the table in the form of timing.

The C5 the motor came out of was putting down 432 to the wheels. The differences are that I actually have a better intake (LS6 vs. LS1) but he had Ceramic Coated Mid Length Headers and I have stock 2001 F-Body Manifolds.

ENTER DOUG MARIANI
I've been hesitant to re-tune after getting Torco because I wanted to wait until I got some LT Headers and maybe swapped out the valves for the sodium filled ones that I have. But Doug Mariani has get himself some hook-ups with tuning software and more.

Now that my cost is on the order of "hey Doug, wanna beer" we're gonna see what we can do to ring out a little more sunshine from this lump. [Of course I'll be on call if he throws the switch on doing something similar to my little ride.]

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Why do you have stock F body manifolds? You can buy LS headers for second and thirdgen camaros/firebirds, Im willing to bet those will fit a C3 just fine. I have headers for those cars and I can not see a single part that would be problematic.

Why do you have stock F body manifolds? You can buy LS headers for second and thirdgen camaros/firebirds, Im willing to bet those will fit a C3 just fine. I have headers for those cars and I can not see a single part that would be problematic.

Because it was a California Legal engine swap, I had to declare it as a certain year, make, model. They use that as the base for evaluating smog compliance. Mine is declared as a 2001 Camaro. Therefore, 2001 F-Body stock manifolds. I've looked into a lot of headers. My favorite, money no option headers are the American Racing headers for GTO. But it making guesses and looking at headers in different F-Bodys, to be honest it looks like it would be VERY close to the control arms. But yes, certainly headers are in the plan. No question that's a bottleneck.

i'm sure you can buy some nice carb legal headers for a 2k1 camaro??

Only shorties, to which there isn't much point. I'm not worried about running long tubes with AIR, the vast majority of your average smog check guys either don't know or don't care. But the referee who validated the swap in the first place would have. . . He made me re-lable the check engine light.

I will get LTs, just a matter of of money for that purpose and finding the right ones.