Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT ?

DC3

Anyone know anything about Edelbrock's Pro-Flo XT EFI intake? I hear they are finally shipping but I've not been able to find any comparative performance data. I've pretty much settled on the Accel Thruster EFI control system but haven't decided on an intake yet.

Here's a link to the XT intake:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/efi_chevy.shtml

I'm also considering the FIRST TPI intake and would really love to find a valid comparison between the two.

Here's a link to the FIRST intake: http://www.firstfuelinjection.com/products.htm

Assuming I go with the XT, it comes in a choice of "as cast" aluminum finish or a black powder coated finish. Would the black powder coated version be a good idea? Either finish would match my existing Edelbrock valve covers so my consideration of the powder coated intake would be for protection, ease of cleaning, etc. but I would also be concerned about the durability of the power coat.

Thanks for the help.

DC

I wouldn't worry about the durability of powder coat. I would be more worried about the Edelbrock intake clearing the hood. It looks tall.

The Smut price of nearly a grand for the whole setup on that Edel there above is not so awful evil......really, for the money...but you still need injectors for that hell of a lot simpler than the battle royal I waged/won last year for retro fitting a LT1 intake on my L98 engine....whole lot of TIG welding by my buddy to do that, no other choice, either that, or no go...
but my price was about 200 bux total....

My First intake is powder coated with the "chrome" finish. It will scratch, but is super easy to clean and looks great! It is pretty close to the Edelbrock Endurashine finish. My setup is actually about 1/2" shorter than the stock air cleaner.

I wouldn't worry about the durability of powder coat. I would be more worried about the Edelbrock intake clearing the hood. It looks tall.

I did some rough measuring last night and I think it will fit. According to the specs, it is 9.1" tall from the bottom of the intake to the top of the throttle body. I have more than that now to the front edge of my air cleaner where, as best as I can tell without some clay to measure with, I have about 3/4" clearance to the hood. I'll study this in more detail before I take the plunge.

My First intake is powder coated with the "chrome" finish. It will scratch, but is super easy to clean and looks great! It is pretty close to the Edelbrock Endurashine finish. My setup is actually about 1/2" shorter than the stock air cleaner.

AJ - how much clearance do you have with the FIRST intake to the hood and how tall is that intake? Sounds like this Edelbrock XT is about same size.

DC

I never checked! I measured and saw it would fit and left it at that. I'll see if I can get you a measurement tonight. I don't have a computer at home but I'll post in the morning at work.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I measured the clearance of my intake to the hood. I have over an inch at the upper plenum. The closest item is the throttle body, and I have about 9/16" there.

SuperChevy just installed this - test mule was a 307ci '70 Nova, they show details and lots of photos in their March 2009 magazine. HP increased from 174 to 210.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I measured the clearance of my intake to the hood. I have over an inch at the upper plenum. The closest item is the throttle body, and I have about 9/16" there.

Thanks AJ. I did a little more careful measuring and I think I'll have enough clearance with either intake.

SuperChevy just installed this - test mule was a 307ci '70 Nova, they show details and lots of photos in their March 2009 magazine. HP increased from 174 to 210.

Thanks! I'll go look for this mag tomorrow.

I found that article after I posted last night. I was surprised the gains in HP and torque were that consistent across the range of the dyno graph. I haven't completely settled on this intake yet. Still considering the FIRST TPI intake that AJ has installed. I have pretty much settled on using the Accel Thruster system instead of the Edelbrock control system. I talked to the guy that did my dyno tuning last summer and he said he would prefer I get an Accel system instead of an Edelbrock system due to the much easier tunability. He had hell with one of the earlier Pro Flo systems and I don't know if he ever got it tuned the way he wanted.

$3400 is pretty steep and that doesn't include filter, fuel pump and all of the little extras. I'll be looking at about the same cost, if not a little more, by the time I gather everything I'll need. I'll get some of the cost back in fuel savings but there is really no way to justify the cost on that alone. You just gotta do it because you want to. My buddy said I didn't need fuel injection. I told him need had nothing to do with it. :D

DC

Just my opinion but for that much money you can buy a complete LS1 engine with the FI system....or the entire car for that matter... 99-02 F-body with accident damage is less than 5K....

I'll get some of the cost back in fuel savings but there is really no way to justify the cost on that alone. You just gotta do it because you want to. My buddy said I didn't need fuel injection. I told him need had nothing to do with it. :D

DC

I hear ya! Sometimes "You just gotta do it because you want to" :D