P/S fitting: Conversion to AN-6

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Not having any luck trying to convert the pump output port to an AN-6 fitting. The old (stock) setup used a 3/8" flared line going into it. Anybody have an AN part number (or description) I can look up?

Thanks,
Mike

Sure, same thing I did some 7 years ago....cut the flare pipe about 6" from the pump, and splice in the stock line with a brass compression union for 3/8 plumbing lines, from Loews Depot....

This would probably fit better than an adapter on the pump. I am guessing you are using Teflon lined hose and steel fittings since even the low pressure of the Vettes P/S pump is pushing the limit for the regular rubber lined stuff. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AER-FBM1144&N=700+115&autoview=sku
If you need a list of all to the fittings to switch over to AN let me know I have a PDF of all the fitting part numbers at home someone sent me when I was doing a hydroboost conversion.

I used one of those on V-Twins car, but on the steering control valve. Anyway, the hoseend I got had the right flares side and also the right threaded part that also goes into the hose, but the B nut has for a much larger hydraulic hose. I simply removed it and replaced it with a B nut off a regular -6AN Aeroquip fitting.

I appreciate the info. Gotta question, though. The 3/8-24 description confuses me. The pump outlet thread on the flare nut looks like 5/8" fine thread. The part description mentions 5/8, but I can't figure out if that's just the AN side, or both. What am I misunderstanding here?

Thanks again.

ps: I just called Earl's in Indy, and talked to one of the tech guys there. He cleared up a few things for me, and it looks like this is the item that will do the trick.
I appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Check with SPEEDWAY in Omaha. THey have all sorts of weird fittings for just what you're doing. And not too expensive.

I appreciate the info. Gotta question, though. The 3/8-24 description confuses me. The pump outlet thread on the flare nut looks like 5/8" fine thread. The part description mentions 5/8, but I can't figure out if that's just the AN side, or both. What am I misunderstanding here?

Thanks again.

ps: I just called Earl's in Indy, and talked to one of the tech guys there. He cleared up a few things for me, and it looks like this is the item that will do the trick.
I appreciate your help!

The 3/8-24 is the inverted flare side, you said in your post the thread there was 3/8 so it corresponds with that.

The other side 5/8-18 is the AN -6 thread. AN fittings simply use UNF (fine) thread.

Here are the thread sizes for AN fittings: (right out of the tech section ;) )

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256

Thanks again.

I appreciate your help!

The 3/8-24 is the inverted flare side, you said in your post the thread there was 3/8 so it corresponds with that.

The other side 5/8-18 is the AN -6 thread. AN fittings simply use UNF (fine) thread.

I'm still confused about the 3/8-24 reference. The (original) pump output tubing is 3/8", but the tubing flare nut thread is 9/16 inch (as is the pump port, of course). I don't see any reference in the part description to the flare nut thread size/pitch, or where the 24 comes into the picture.

oh the tubing is 3/8? I figured that was the thread size. 24 = 24 threads per inch pitch.

A tubing size of 3/8 (= 6/16) corresponds with the tube size for a -6 an fitting, tube nut, sleeve and hose. The an system is made so that it's all increments of 1/16 -> -6 is 6/16 or 3/8. The increments refer to the OD of tubing. In other words, a -6 AN hose has a same (or similar) ID as a 3/8 OD!!!! tube. It's very common to read that the OD of a -6 hose is the same as that of a 3/8 tube, it's not...that's completely wrong. check the tech article, there's a pic of the edelbrock site there where they even post that a 3/6 hose is the same as a -6 hose, that's BS it totally depends on what kind of hose and the wall thickness. Unless they mean a 3/8 ID hose and even then it's not completely correct as a -6 hose is smaller than 3/8 on the inside.

If the flare nut is 9/16 you need a 9/16 - 18 (18tpi) inverted flare to 5/8-18 (-6) AN flare.

I don't know a part number for that one, I figured all saginaw P style pumps were 5/8 inverted flare requiring AEROQUIP FBM 2964

The pre 80 pumps were sae sized for 3/8" 45° flare tubing (Same as 3/8" brake or fuel line ends) with tubing nut size of 5/8"-18 thread.

If you want to come out of the p pump directly to -an fitting, then I think this is the fitting you need.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...AER-FBM2964&N=700+4294842776+115&autoview=sku

You can also come out of the pump to reuseable hose fitting and save a little space with one of these.
AEROQUIP FBM 1144
AEROQUIP FBM 1141
AEROQUIP FBM 1138

Last edited:
Yes, sorry typo, 5/8"-18 is correct.

I just use a lot of 5/8"-11, not thinking. :suicide:

Thanks, TT.

Got my Earl's shipment today. The pump adaptor fitting is the one you suggested (961947ERL). The Summit description is what threw me (the 3/8-24 and I didn't want aluminum). This part is steel, and has the required 5/8-18 threads.
Next question. I've usually made my own lines before, but there's a couple places that have some darn reasonable prices on their hoses, and I almost can't justify spending my labor time making my own. To connect up the pump and rack, I'll need a length of -6 hose, terminated by 90 degree ends. My concern is that I may have to put a good twist in the line to connect things up, depending on how the 90 degree ends are "clocked". Is there a better way to deal with this issue other than just accepting an unsightly plumbing routing?

Install the fittings in the respective "ends" and route the hose so that it lays correctly- no twists. Mark the ends and the hose, explain it to the hose shop, then make sure they assembled the hose as you desired. That will get you both length and the correct lay of the hose.

What Tim says will work with crimped ends, not if you use a B nut/reusable end and assemble it yourself, or you'll have to tighten, check if it lines up, if not undo the B nut rotate the end and try again. It's a PITA but the high pressure stainless fittings are not available with swivel ends. It sucks! I just did it on a rack install, 2 fittings had to be laid out parallel so they could be tightened and they were so damn close to each other, it was like wrestling a snake. Had to redo one end 3 times before I hit the sweet spot and not twisting the hose. The teflon hose hardly bends even, it kinks once you bend or twist it too much.