source for aluminum half shafts?

daveL82

While working on my 80 rear suspension I found one of the half shaft u-joints to be worn. I debating going with all new half shafts made of aluminum to save weight. Anyone know of a good source?

I saw Denny's web site and tried to call them today. Will try tomorrow

Not sure if it's weaker but for road and road race track days it should be fine. The carbon fiber ones are too expensive for me.

Got my halfshafts back from the shop

Got a call from the driveshaft shop this morning that my halfshafts were ready to be picked up. I dropped off a pair of C4 shafts last week to be shortened to fit my car (C4 suspension with stock C3 track width). I got a call from the shop the day after I dropped off the parts, and the guy said that after they got the first shaft cut and shortened, it fit rather loosely on the end yoke. He speculated that the yokes are made for .125" wall tubing, while the shafts are made of about .093" material. We discussed some options, and I asked that new thicker tubing be installed on the yokes. I picked them up today, and the guy told me they installed .134" (IIRC) wall tubing. If the welds are as strong as they are pretty, I ought to be in good shape here. I ended up spending a little more than I planned (due to them cutting both yokes out, and substituting new tubing), but it was still a bit cheaper than their quoted price for completely new shafts.
The picture below shows a stock length C4 shaft, my lengthened C3 setup shaft, and the new custom length shaft.

IM001077.jpg