Web Cam Security Software

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
Does anyone have any experience with web cam security software?:sos:

I have been having trouble with some unwanted "admirers" entering my 'Vette when it is in my driveway. It happens usually on a Sat. night between 2 and 4 am, after the bars close. They go in the car and fortunately they have not done any damage - yet, it has happened 3 or 4 times now. I have my home computer set up with a web cam and I can watch the car but my hard drive is not up to the task of recording video for more than 2 hours - I run out of space.
I understand that there are motion detector type programs that will only record when motion is detected - thus saving lots of space on the hard drive.:sos:

So what's the deal?

Go to the sporting goods store and buy a trail camera,they can usually hold a 500-600 pics,and the better ones can shoot several minutes of video,they have motion sensors and IR detection, if they come back,you will get their mug shot.

Download a prog call Dorgem here

http://dorgem.sourceforge.net/

It is free and discontinued, but works well with webcams

Google the prog and you will probably find a lot of user help, it was hot back when.

BTW 1 terrabyte drives are less than 100 bucks now.:nuts:

I have an external hard drive that is probably up to the task but am computer challenged as far as implementing the darn thing.

I also tried the dorgem program but it bonked for me - maybe I did something wrong?

I could use some guidance here. Are there any flow charts or basic text books out there that I can follow to set up something like this?

It's Saturday night again.... I wanna catch these wackers.

Do you want one permanently or temporarily?

I have a DVR that all it needs is a HDD, about $50.

I can lend it to you till you catch them.

I have a camera too.

Put the HDD in any its yours till you catch them, but I need it back.

It's a pretty high end device.

It can be set to record on motion and just record when someone goes near the car.

Over here I just put a hand gernade in the car with a wire connected to the pin so when the door is opened it pulls the pin.

Only problem so far is my previous maid was washing the car and well let say it took some time to clean the driveway:shocking:

Driveway Alert System...just put sensor high on garage pointing down at your car. Receiver will alert you if anything moves around your vette....$16 at Harbor Freight...

I use mine for detecting coyotes,critters on hill in my backyard...lol...

BugBuster001-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the idea of the driveway alert system - it must be the cheapo in me, under $20.00 and Harbor freight is only 15- 20 minutes from here. The only problem is no image capture capabilities.

The trail camera is a great idea too. I read some reviews etc. and it seems that for about $100.00 you can get a decent one. The only drawback I see to the trail camera is that the bastards might steal it too...

Can I use my external hard drive ( I think it is 80 GB) to increase the recording time of my existing web cam program?

I have 3-4 of those left over from last years deer season,i can send you one if you want :hunter:

Can you get your hands on any of these?
image756.jpg
m-18a1.jpg

Best to check on any legal restrictions in your area too... :D

Now Wayne has the right idea:thumbs:

SHIT ! The local LEO's told me I am not allowed to booby trap my property otherwise I AM THE ONE who would get locked up, go figure..... otherwise I'd have some of those puppies set and ready to go!

In the meantime I did find a pretty good web cam security system that works with my PC. It is called mCam and is made by Lorex (under $50.00 at Home Depot), it has a motion detecting feature that works very well. My only problem now is that it does not see well in the dark. I'll put a dusk to dawn light in the driveway in addition to the motion detecting spotlight I already have & that should take care of it.

As a side note - I used to live in Philadelphia in an attached home. We had skylights in the bathrooms on the 2nd floor. Many people got robbed by thieves coming in through the skylights. Some homeowners put a sheet of plywood that was full of nails on the bathroom floor under the skylight to deter the thieves. One thief landed on the nails, got hurt, sued the homeowner and won his case based on the fact that he was now disabled and could no longer pursue his career of crime. Ain't the law grand? The homeowner got screwed because he defended his home.

Can you get your hands on any of these?
image756.jpg
m-18a1.jpg

Best to check on any legal restrictions in your area too... :D

I have 3-4 of those left over from last years deer season,i can send you one if you want :hunter:

:nuts: Sounds like hunting season is pretty exciting there! Remind me not to wander too far off the road when I need to stop & pee....:amazed:

A very low tech alarm system we used to use for our motorcycles, trucks & garages was a microswitch with a paddle like they use in pinball machines or automatic door openers placed under the lock chain for the bike, under a piece of innocent looking cardboard on the ground next to the truck or against the garage door. And/or a mercury switch from a furnace thermostat to sense movement. Wired up to a car battery, a horn & a headlight....And with a Bosch relay it could trigger an electronic camera trigger, I've done a similar thing like that too. It's all Friday night afro engineering, but it's fun & simple & you can take as far as your imagination will let you. Plus, it's cheap & easily modifiable. I don't remember where I got the switches, I still have a coffee can full of them I've had for 25 years. I'm sure Radio Shack has them.