Blast cabinet mod

cajos1968

I have this tiny blast cabinet, it just a couple of inches to small to work without opening the lid and turning the object. The "Plexiglas" lit with plastic sheets is worthless, since your always blasting near the damn top. I'm blasting mostly blind, stopping all the time to look where I am and what I did. You can imagine how this slows me down.

So I decided to rebuild the lit and give myself more space and replace the Plexiglas window with glass. Glass is so much harder then Plexiglas, I hope it will last months instead of 5 minutes.

I used some 12mm mdf and for the glass I used 15cmx20cm and 5 mm thick regular glass.

cabinet.jpg

With new lit, rather crudely shaped but I hope I will do the trick.

newlit.jpg

I'm also going to insert some modern energy saving light bulbs replacing the old and dull plastic covered Tl. I use the energy saving lamps because the tent not to be that hot, which is in combination with dust rather dangerous.

Last edited:
Question, I have an old industrial vacuum. It sucks big time ;-), can't move my arms in the gloves when I turn it on. Can I just bleed some additional air to lower this awesome sucking power ;-). Or is there another trick?

I put one of those under the cabinet lights in mine. 12" long, and it gives plenty of light. I also bought a 6 gal shop vac from lowes which has a good enough draw on it without sucking up the part you are trying to clean. If you want to use your vac you will need to vent the cabinet to lower the draw.

Danny

Happy camper over here. Completed the top, with lights and window. Tested it and it is a huge improvement. Did blast for 3 hours, without any issue, foging the "window", could now manipulate a lower control arm within the cabinet. The window has some small pitting without impacting sight. What a relief.