tried out a new firebird,

My brother has an Epi Joe Pass model that is really nice. I think you can buy them all day for less than $400. I went to Guitar Center with a buddy that was buying a guitar for his kid. Played a Gibson and Epi SG Standard in a side by side comparison and the Gibson was a little nicer but it was $1200 and the Epi was $400. I might be a little biased but I hate the polyester finish on Korean (or China or wherever) guitars. It looks nice but the necks feel sticky to me. That said, I know people who prefer poly finishes.

so - whose economy do you want to support? Is the Gibson worth the difference?
I took the tour at the Gibson plant in Memphis - all hand crafted stuff, very little mass production there. Can Epiphone say the same or is it an assembly line?
Whatever you choose - I wish you much enjoyment.

The new Epiphones are NICE guitars.

FWIW, I LOVE my new Strat. American Deluxe....

Here's the rule with guitars. If you like how it feels, BUY IT. You can adjust the sounds with pickups. EMGs and a broomstick will sound awesome.

Test drove a new Gibson Firebird yesterday, great price of 1695.00 would have brought it home but it was white, wanted the sunburst. BBC, it was at the Guitar Center in Greensboro. I didnt find it that heavy to hold.

Now, You can buy the eiphone for 399.00, how much difference do you think there would be? Have not been able to locate one to play. Any thoughts?

Did you try the Epihones at GC? The have the LP copies. They are very good guitars...but they need to be set-up...as with most. I have a standard. Plays nice but just a little heavy. Not a problem. Only wish I wasn't a hack:smash:

We got a flyer from them advertising some deals on trade in. My son went there with his Jackson a couple of weeks back to get a quote, after 45minutes of waiting, he said screw it. I forget what he's got his eye on, but we'll probably be going back soon since he has been trying to scrounge up some extra cash.

I'll check out the Firebird when I'm there.

Test drove a new Gibson Firebird yesterday, great price of 1695.00 would have brought it home but it was white, wanted the sunburst. BBC, it was at the Guitar Center in Greensboro. I didnt find it that heavy to hold.

Now, You can buy the eiphone for 399.00, how much difference do you think there would be? Have not been able to locate one to play. Any thoughts?

Did you try the Epihones at GC? The have the LP copies. They are very good guitars...but they need to be set-up...as with most. I have a standard. Plays nice but just a little heavy. Not a problem. Only wish I wasn't a hack:smash:

We got a flyer from them advertising some deals on trade in. My son went there with his Jackson a couple of weeks back to get a quote, after 45minutes of waiting, he said screw it. I forget what he's got his eye on, but we'll probably be going back soon since he has been trying to scrounge up some extra cash.

I'll check out the Firebird when I'm there.

No, I didnt even think about anything after I saw the firebird, got tunnel vision, lol. Will check one out, thanks. Will be back on Friday, going to see Johnny Winter at the Carolina Theater. Wish I could pick one up on Friday and have it signed by Johnny. Now that would be a day.

Interesting on how each one of us has their own favorite playing guitar, I bought a Johnson T806 that had been damaged for 50 bucks, during shipping to the music store. I repaired it, did a set up, now its my favorite player. Dont know why, maybe I feel sorry for it, I love the feel it has. Guess you would call it a rat ax. (I'm worst than a hacker, I couldnt even begin to get the most out of the Firebird.)

Back in 1995 I had an SG custom built. I got the body from a friend. I waited 9 months for honest to god 1960 Les Paul pickups, I sanded the neck down and refinished it.

I put on the better bridge, and had the electronics all redone. I hated it when finished. I sold it to a guy who had about 10 SGs. He loved the guitar. The only thing he used for recording.

It's all taste, the size of your hand, the scale of the frets, etc...

Make/model is irrelevant. If you like it, it's the right guitar.

Nice! Firebirds do have a distinctive sound, always reminds me of Johnny Winter.

Washington Music Center......

Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center.....

86 or so I worked one winter there fixing audio amps....at that time they claimed to be the cheapest joint in the world for ANY musical instruments....even the Monkey co. school bought from him.....

so check his website and see how the prices you paid compare to his outfit....

kinda curious....as I used to do work with a couple bands back in the cave man daze....

:gurney::drink: