Tail light issues need help!

swtato

I have a 78 and I am having tail light issues.

I did some research and found that when the tail lights and dash lights stop working it is most likely a headlight switch. I have brakes and signals, just no tailights. So I replaced the switch (that was alot of fun) and still nothing! :mad:

I am not very skilled in the electrical area! I was haveing some paint work done at a restoration shop and they "back traced" not sure if I am using the right term? They said they got them to light up and felt it might be the switch. I am not sure what to do from thins point, any suggestions?:bigears

RONG information...IF you have just ONE tail light, it's up front, IF you have a total failure, you have a bad ground....on my '72 it's a black wire on the driver's side coming from harness to the frame....

one of my first tricks was to take that off, grind to shiney metal on ALL parts....get a good star washer, bolt that sucker together, prove it works....and then bury it good in RTV black.....

corrode THAT mommy nature.....

same for ALL battery grounding cables....and engine ground on the pass side of the engine mount....

:beer:

I have a 78 and I am having tail light issues.

I did some research and found that when the tail lights and dash lights stop working it is most likely a headlight switch. I have brakes and signals, just no tailights. So I replaced the switch (that was alot of fun) and still nothing! :mad:

I am not very skilled in the electrical area! I was haveing some paint work done at a restoration shop and they "back traced" not sure if I am using the right term? They said they got them to light up and felt it might be the switch. I am not sure what to do from thins point, any suggestions?:bigears

I had a problem with one of mine and found it to be the ground wire at the tail light was broke, i'm sure you checked the fuse already. i have all the wiring schematics and the electrical trouble shooting guide for the 78 if you need it.

On my 82 there are 2 grounds on both sides of the rear part of the frame. Take a test light with the ground to the frame to see if your hot wires are powered. If that works start checking the grounds.

It was a fuse, I looked at the fuse marked tail light and it seemed fine? oh well, could have been worse. I was glad I replaced the switch anyway since now I can adjust the dash lights, before it was very dim even when turned all the way up.

One thing I did notice is when the lights are on the water temps pegs turn them off and it goes back to normal.
Any suggestions on this one?

It was a fuse, I looked at the fuse marked tail light and it seemed fine? oh well, could have been worse. I was glad I replaced the switch anyway since now I can adjust the dash lights, before it was very dim even when turned all the way up.

One thing I did notice is when the lights are on the water temps pegs turn them off and it goes back to normal.

99% of the time, a "goofy" symptom is a bad ground. The power takes alternate paths and creates "gremlins."

99% of the time, a "goofy" symptom is a bad ground. The power takes alternate paths and creates "gremlins."

With that description of problems, a bad ground is a 99.9% chance of being the problem.