63 SWC, group therapy for the hopelessly addicted

Restovette63

Brothers (and sisters),

Join me in the all too familiar tale of a project that has spiraled out of control, gone over budget, and has taken far too long. For the purists in the group, I bought the car as a non numbers matching car with no intention of restoring it to "gold/top flight" status (probably would have been a less expensive option)...started as a project for me to freshen up and upgrade over the course of my second and third childhoods...took an abrupt turn for 3 years where the spiral began...a former friend of the family, forever known from this point forward as the Booger Eating Moron (BEM) took the car for 3+ years and got in WAY over his head...in the process he destroyed the stock frame trying to graft several different versions of a modern suspension on it (all without benefit of a proper frame jig or welder that would get hot enough to penetrate)...alas, I repo my once solid project vehicle (now basket case) and bring it home to reevaluate...our story takes a turn for the better here, where we decide to condemn the stock frame (seemed only prudent when you remove a gusset that had been "welded" in with your bare hands, kinda have to question every other weld at that point)....I mentioned the BEM part right...so we start again...this time with a SRIII tube frame design for a C5 front and rear suspension...the LS2 and 6 speed from the previous carnage is retained...that pretty much brings us to present...final fab work is being done (undoing BEM's work)...just fuel and brake lines to be run before the frame is sent be powder coated and the body is sent to have the patchwork done on the firewall/floorpan...too many details to list

On with the visuals...pics are too large for the uploader so here is the external link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/restovette63

:beer:

449b465e17c861.jpg

449b465e31adf0.jpg

449b465e4864c9.jpg

449b465e55579c.jpg

449b465e61d565.jpg

449b465e71d6fb.jpg

449b465e8c35a5.jpg

449b465e9b4b35.jpg

449b465ead2033.jpg

449b465ebf1bfb.jpg

449b465ed24acf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My kinda project. Sorry about the mess you got into but sometimes things are just meant to be (It's only time, money and aggravation anyway right? :amused:)

My SRIII / SuperCharged LS6 and T56 has undergone a few upgrades this winter and just test fit the modded gas tank today (put a sump and new filler next and sending unit in and upgraded the main lines from -6 to -8, new seats and a few other goodies) .

So any questions feel free. You're gonna love it.

Hehe...yours went through some upgrades over the winter...that is the funny/sad part about it...I am just trying to get the thing running and home...then the series of "upgrades" that I can/will do myself start...

I too am running the hydroboost/Wilwood master setup, what do you think of it? I have heard it will put you through the windshield, but I am hoping it can be modulated so that I'm not flat spotting tires out at the track all the time.

My kinda project. Sorry about the mess you got into but sometimes things are just meant to be (It's only time, money and aggravation anyway right? :amused:)

My SRIII / SuperCharged LS6 and T56 has undergone a few upgrades this winter and just test fit the modded gas tank today (put a sump and new filler next and sending unit in and upgraded the main lines from -6 to -8, new seats and a few other goodies) .

So any questions feel free. You're gonna love it.

Wow, that stock frame with the C5 suspension, it's completely crooked.

Big thumbs up for using the C5 IRS and a C4 Dana44 hybrid/combo deal. I like that a LOT!!!

Welcome to VetteMOD!

Hope you don't mind but I added some of your pictures to your post.

Nice build, can't wait to see more.

Thanks BBShark...I kinda scratched my head for a bit wondering how I managed to upload the pics...until I got to the bottom and read your post...

Twin Turbo, thanks, I really like the C5/Dana44 combo too, oddly enough with as unoriginal as the car is now, I like the idea of having something similar to what came in the car in the rear...somewhat similar to how it was built but updated I guess...

:beer:

Welcome to VetteMOD!

Hope you don't mind but I added some of your pictures to your post.

Nice build, can't wait to see more.

Hehe...yours went through some upgrades over the winter...that is the funny/sad part about it...I am just trying to get the thing running and home...then the series of "upgrades" that I can/will do myself start...

I too am running the hydroboost/Wilwood master setup, what do you think of it? I have heard it will put you through the windshield, but I am hoping it can be modulated so that I'm not flat spotting tires out at the track all the time.

The HB took a little getting use to but once you do you will like it. But my driving is just very spirited street driving and no track so I don't klnow how it would be ont he track.

The first thing you will notice is when moving slowly and you just touch it the car stops and then takes a little to get going while the pressure bleeds off a little. The pedal is rock solid, and it will put you through the windshield with those C5 brakes.

Car looks great. Mike and crew do incredible work.

More progress....the frame and body are now joined together (hopefully for the last time)...the suspension is mostly back in place, fuel and brake lines have been run...and most importantly, the motor, trans, and rear are in place!!!

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and am beginning to have confidence that this thing may actually run one day. All the credit goes to Robby Hooper (and his crew Chris, George, and Ken) at Corvette Masters in Maitland FL. Robby and his guys have done some incredible fabrication and innovation to get this thing back on track and make it once again the car of my dreams. They have also been instrumental in keeping my spirits high, expectations in check, and most of all keeping me involved in the project.

Here are the latest pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/restovette63/82009#

Attachments

• IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 33
Your work is awesome, super clean...down to little details like the clutch reservoir to master line. Simply awesome.

Your work is awesome, super clean...down to little details like the clutch reservoir to master line. Simply awesome.

Yes, it does look good, Money, Effort, Time.... shows well......

Maybe some of the Florida crew can head over your way for a brain picking session some time....or meet up somewhere convenient....

:1st:

Yes, it does look good, Money, Effort, Time.... shows well......

Maybe some of the Florida crew can head over your way for a brain picking session some time....or meet up somewhere convenient....

:1st:

Twin Turbo, I wish I could claim that work was mine...I don't have that kind of talent...this it the type of work and vision Robby does everyday, I see plenty of examples every week when I visit.

Mrvette, I would love to get together and have a meeting of the minds and do some bench racing (and tire spinning) with you guys...hopefully this thing will be buttoned up in the not too distant future and we could plan a gathering. Let me know if you guys have anything pending and I will try to save/make the date...:beer:

Robby continues to impress. The passenger side header has been modified and completely welded back together and the driver's side is tacked in place ready for final welding. He has managed to snake the pipes around the starter which will drop out easily, the oil filter with plenty of room to add lines for an oil cooler and kept them snug to the underside of the car so that they won't drag on anything. This week he will fab the X-pipe and remaining piping out the back.

All the pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/restovet...eadersExhaust#

Attachments

• Headers bottom.JPG
    Headers bottom.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 20
  • headers front.JPG
    headers front.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
Oooh-man...I'm green with envy. That is going to be one sweet ride! I wish I had the resources to dedicate into that magnitude of project. Let us know when you are headed to the Central Florida Road Course to iron it out. I'm sure you will have a few of us locals drooling, including myself. Good luck with the end product.:trumpet::thumbs: