Logic or sequence controller

Blain

It seems that my 74 has a electronic module in the rear compartment that I have seen referred to as a sequence controller or logic controller. All of the seat, belt and door switches terminate there. Problem is none of the wiring diagrams I have seen show this controller. My intention is to completely eliminate it but I need to know how it works first.

Thoughts anyone?

Blain

About 8 wires in one end and 3 out the other. Opened it up and is a full printed circuit board with I/C.
P5270114.jpg

My intention is to eliminate all the "Big brother" crap.

About 8 wires in one end and 3 out the other. Opened it up and is a full printed circuit board with I/C.
P5270114.jpg

My intention is to eliminate all the "Big brother" crap.

My sympathies are with you entirely....IF you can't find a diagram...try a '73-75 vette as maybe you got into that changeover situation with your car...the '72 I have has been very proudly DE Naderized....only saftey stuff on it is the seatbelt of course, and the key in steering wheel....ALL that mechanical/electronic interlock crap is GONE, all within less then 2 weeks of owning the car....

:hissyfit::smash:

1974 was the first year for the seat belt safety interlock. The seat belt had to be buckled or the car wouldn't start. Maybe that's it?

1974 was the first year for the seat belt safety interlock. The seat belt had to be buckled or the car wouldn't start. Maybe that's it?

That's what I thought too, but that was nothing but a relay, as I recall in MY '72....why it was there, I dunno. but there was a switch on the side of the old seat belt housings...that I remember....maybe just a light?? I forget...

I remember so many people would just sit on the buckles seat belt, back when....

Seatbelts and airbags are the only two that make any sense, the rest is a bunch of crap...flat overboard with too much crap.....

:crap:

Thanks TT. That is the same diagram I'm using but it still doesn't show the controller. Page 8 of the wiring should be it, but it does not relate at all.

Blain

Couldn't wait. Unwrapped the harness and removed all that crap. Really wasn't as bad as I thought. I have an electrical background so not too intimidated. Besides the cost of a new harness is quite a motivator.
P3080451.jpg
Unwrapped.
P3080452.jpg
Unnecessary junk.
P3080454.jpg
Re-taped and ready.

Still would like a wire diagram if anyone runs across one.

Blain

Blain, that what you did above, is MY attitude.....winter 01-02 I had the car in the air for 6 months....rack conversion floorboards modded, pedals moved, and the entire electrical system totally rewired....MY way....only the forward lighting is in the bulkhead connector now...all the rest is hard wired....NO assy line would do it that way...not that I know of anyway....

:drink:

The diagram doesn't show the controller, but it does show the harness going to it.

You had me confused TT until I went back to read the posts. That is not the relay. The relay comes off of the dash harness. Ditched that crap too. I started on the dash and engine compartment harnesses yesterday. Purged most of the related wiring. Just wish I had a way to test it all without a full installation. If I goofed somewhere it will be a bitch to find wrapped and in the car.

Couldn't wait. Unwrapped the harness and removed all that crap. Really wasn't as bad as I thought. I have an electrical background so not too intimidated. Besides the cost of a new harness is quite a motivator.
P3080451.jpg
Unwrapped.
P3080452.jpg
Unnecessary junk.
P3080454.jpg
Re-taped and ready.

Still would like a wire diagram if anyone runs across one.

Blain

The 74 diagrams are in the downloads section.
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

Last edited:
P3110459.jpg

Recognize these plugs? Engine harness, before wiper plugs. The single wire is the other end of the orange wire from these plugs. Looks like the single end goes to the auto trans.

Blain