Changing front caliper mounting position

CrossedFlags77

I saw in another thread about C3's moving the front caliper to the rear of the rotor instead of the front. I was wondering how this was accomplished. Was a completely new bracket fabricated or can you just swap the brackets from side to side and to the rear. Then all you have to do is modify the steering arm by shaving down the rear bolt hole and make up for the gap that is now present in the front mounting bolt. It is hard for me to picture this as I am in Germany right now, a world away from my Corvette.

Also, is there any real advantage to this besides the cooling advantage? Does it help with anti-dive or anything like that?

Picture showing changed mounting position:
DSC05548.jpg

You can not swap brackets because the thickness of the bracket is milled off of one of the bolt hole bosses on the steering arms. You would need a custom bracket and machine the arms and use a spacer to fill up the other hole with the missing bracket.

I flipped mine but I have front steering:

2480f09efb2c51.jpg

The location is mostly about cooling and COG, lower is always better and in an open wheeler on the front is easier to cool, in a full body car rear is easier to cool.

Placing a caliper on the top or bottom (would be best for COG) invites another problem, bearing play during cornering will affect the disk and this will kick back the pads, meaning you have to give more pedal the next time you brake. The bottom mount would also be much more open to road debris.

actually my factory brackets were swapped from left to right, that along with some welding at the lower spindle hole. I just went back into the racing page looking at the pics the kid posted of Klutts race car and it looks like he`s using (at least part of) a factory bracket....

Last edited:
actually my factory brackets were swapped from left to right, that along with some welding at the lower spindle hole. I just went back into the racing page looking at the pics the kid posted of Klutts race car and it looks like he`s using (at least part of) a factory bracket....

I didn't word my responce quite right, yes you can swap brackets left & right, it's all symmetrical but you will have to mill the thicker boss on the steering arm to the thinner size, I think it was a 6mm difference but not sure (the difference is the exact thickness of the stock bracket)

Another thing you want to do is move the brake line bracket to the front of the steering axis (means you need longer brake lines), this so the line crosses the steering shaft and as such does not form a loop when steering (ans possibly touching part of the wheel/rotor) Maybe you can tie the brake line down so it won't toucj, but if you move it from the front across the steering axis it will simply move with the wheel and never form a loop.

Thank you for the info. My thoughts were confirmed that the stock brackets will work although modifying of the steering arm will be needed. I will add this to the list of things to do when I get back.

Here's a pic of the steering arm, you can see the thicker part on the inner mounting boss:

249ad6ca9e633f.jpg

The bracket mounts over the thinner boxx, so if you want the bracket on the other side you have to mill the other boss and part of the arm.

Here you can see that the bracket bolts on top of the steering arm.

249ad6e60e12ed.jpg

Another thing you want to do is move the brake line bracket to the front of the steering axis (means you need longer brake lines), this so the line crosses the steering shaft and as such does not form a loop when steering (ans possibly touching part of the wheel/rotor) Maybe you can tie the brake line down so it won't toucj, but if you move it from the front across the steering axis it will simply move with the wheel and never form a loop.

TT, ya got any pictures of your flex line routing? I was looking at the plumbing requirements for my calipers today, and ain't comfortable with the routing of any flex lines from the caliper to the stock location bracket. However, if I move the bracket up front, I'm concerned about (the remote chance of ) the flex line getting pinched in the coilover spring. Before I put out any money for some custom line, I'd be interested in seeing what others are doing for this configuration.

Thanks.

IM001056.jpg