Reversing/Backup lights

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Does anyone know of some aftermarket 2" or even 2 1/2" reversing or backup lights? I'm going to replace the tail lights when I swap my rear bumper out so I won't have any reversing lights. I want round lights as I plan to mount them like the original tail lights in their "tubes", but lower down the bumper.

If I can't get round lights that size, how good are the strips of LED's?

Does anyone know of some aftermarket 2" or even 2 1/2" reversing or backup lights? I'm going to replace the tail lights when I swap my rear bumper out so I won't have any reversing lights. I want round lights as I plan to mount them like the original tail lights in their "tubes", but lower down the bumper.

If I can't get round lights that size, how good are the strips of LED's?

Junkyards are your friends......it's what I did for my '72, long time ago....

You could use 68-69 front marker lights, they are about you need (although fairly expensive). There are tons of round motorcycle signals out there. I think current Harley signals are about 2 1/2" and clear lenses are available.

I ended up installing driving lights under the rear bumper. They are hidden behind the ground effects a bit. I'll post a picture later.
I tried finding some other types of back up lights - LED strips on the license plate frame, NOS chromies from various older cars, nothing was "right".
The driving lights were the most cost effective and least obtrusive way I could find to install functional back up lights.

100_3201.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3202.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3204.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the pics Lee. What I want to do though is get something around 2 inches in diameter and "recess" them into the bumper like the tail lights but down low beside the number plate...

Hey Wayne,get some that are a rectangle shape and mold them into the bumper on each side of the license plate.

I have a pair of NOS backup lights from a '61 dodge that might work for you, yours if you want 'em (I owe you one, I'll take a pic later). I also thought that backup lights from an early Mustang looked about right, they are common and easy to find.

100_3205.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3206.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3207.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3208.jpg
[/IMG]

When I bought these I did not know that the backs were concave, they looked flush in the pictures I first saw. If you are recessing them then maybe the concave backs won't matter. What IS nice is that they have 2 studs for mounting and are ready to plug in. Pigtails came in the box with them.

Hey Wayne,get some that are a rectangle shape and mold them into the bumper on each side of the license plate.
Yeah, that crossed my mind Kev - I thought about getting the lower part from a C4 bumper and molding that in there.

I have a pair of NOS backup lights from a '61 dodge that might work for you, yours if you want 'em (I owe you one, I'll take a pic later). I also thought that backup lights from an early Mustang looked about right, they are common and easy to find.
Thanks for the offer Lee, but I'll hang off right now - I've found some 2 inch LED fog lights that might work. Do you know what diameter the Mustang lights are?

This is a quick photochop of what I have in mind...
3549aad2353f2d7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Lee, but I'll hang off right now - I've found some 2 inch LED fog lights that might work. Do you know what diameter the Mustang lights are?

This is a quick photochop of what I have in mind...
3549aad2353f2d7.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's nice! Maybe the LED fog lights concept is best for what you are doing.

No idea of the diameter on the mustang lights. Here's a link to what I saw.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Back-Up-Light-Reverse-Lamp-Assemblies-69-70_W0QQitemZ270351452373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item270351452373&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I modified my bumper to use C4 backup light
P1030320.jpg

but they are a little too deep and I had to cut the aluminium bumper.

btw, I really like the CORVETTE script :1st:
I planned to paint mine using the same font, but it looks so nice like this I'll copy your idea :2nd: