NYLON glues.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Maita has a right side healight motor with a split gear in there, similar mode to the C4 failures.....the gear is split where press fit on a knurled shaft....no room to just clamp it....so question is....

to glue it....will a urethane based 'Gorilla glue' hold it???

if not, what???

:gurney:

I don't think Gorilla Glue is the right stuff for this job - it is mostly for bonding wood and the like (and it expands like mad when it cures). I would be more inclined to use a 2 part epoxy, something like JB weld..... then repair it, place a hose clamp around it for 24 hrs. and hope for the best!

gorilla glus is incredible stuff and i am a big fan of it. it really likes porous surfaces to get in there and expand and fill.....i dont know if the nylon is microscopically porous enough to glue it.....i also think a high tech epoxy would be a good choice.

Well, guess I will see, used the Gorilla glue, and stuck a hose clamp on the gear to close the break, having tapped the steel serrated shaft outta the center, I drilled the hole slightly larger stuck a bunch of glue on the shaft, and tapped it back in place so the glue can expand/cure in the center there, and relieve tension on the plastic gear, I cut slots in the 'spokes' on the recessed backside of the gear, and stuck a piece of solid copper 16ga wire in there, and twisted it together so to strengthen the plastic even more, then put gorilla glue all over it to secure in place.....

going to try it this morning...cured under a heat vent on the kitchen counter overnight....

I should know something soon enough....

:waxer:

It werks!!! now the question is.....what I the wife going to say when she gets home and sees two flashlights sticking out of the engine compartment, facing forward.....

and I tell her those are her headlights, the system is terminal, can't be fixed....:eek:http://www.vettemod.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=37226:rofl::rofl:

OK, why is it that link doesn't work for me? Did I get banned again? :bounce:

NOT a link, something happened when I went to edit a typo, and it went screwey posting that red underlined it was supposed to be smileys....I dunno...

It werks!!! now the question is.....what I the wife going to say when she gets home and sees two flashlights sticking out of the engine compartment, facing forward.....

and I tell her those are her headlights, the system is terminal, can't be fixed....:eek:http://www.vettemod.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=37226:rofl::rofl:

OK, why is it that link doesn't work for me? Did I get banned again? :bounce:

NOT a link, something happened when I went to edit a typo, and it went screwey posting that red underlined it was supposed to be smileys....I dunno...

Wheww......So it wasn't just me........:goodevil:

Gene, I can't imagine you, of all people, making a TYPO!.
bagsmiley.gif

Gene, I can't imagine you, of all people, making a TYPO!.
bagsmiley.gif

Tim, serious, it getting much worse....sometimes I have to go back and correct over a dzn times in a given sentence......this one right here now, not any, so far....but my hands are not hurting right now.....let a winter blast come back again, like supposed to happen today/tmrw/tues.....

:banned: