Commander 950 opinions

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I bought a Commander 950 about 2 years ago with the intention of using it on my car. Well, as things go, I have not used it and it is still sitting in the box. I also have some high impedance injectors and the small cap HEI required for use with the C950. So, I'm working towards getting the engine installed and fired up this spring.

My question is this. Before I commit to installing the C950, should I investigate other EFI systems out there? I'm kind of concerned that Holley will no longer support the C950 when their new unit comes out. Because of the cost involved (with switching), I would need a pretty compelling reason to change.

Like to hear peoples opinions on this.

Why not use it? As long as you aren't shooting for the moon hp wise, the Holley system should work just fine.

Why not use it? As long as you aren't shooting for the moon hp wise, the Holley system should work just fine.

I'm not really shooting for the moon. Just a street car that runs well.

Just a sanity check on my part. I'm concerned that Holley seems to have focused on their next gen product and has not done any work with the C950 for years. So, in the future, what kind of support am I going to get.

Larry, No reason to change IMO. The Holley will support everything I am thinking you plan to do with your setup just about as well as the XFI or Gen VII. It does not support sequential, or low impedance injectors, but probably not worth upgrading for just that right now. I purchased a low impedance driver box for the new injectors I recently purchased for my Holley Cmdr. on the blue 69. The old injectors that came with the kit were way to small for that car. 30 lbs/hr. Now upgrading to Low impedance 52's
I have talked with Doug F down at Holley numerous times, and knowing him, I would not worry about future support.
If I were you, I would wait for the next generation systems before considering an upgrade.

Bullshark

I'm not really shooting for the moon. Just a street car that runs well.

Just a sanity check on my part. I'm concerned that Holley seems to have focused on their next gen product and has not done any work with the C950 for years. So, in the future, what kind of support am I going to get.

I agree - why not use it? Just because Chevy makes a new car this year doesn't mean your 2 year old car is no good.

Also, there's nothing to support. The firmware has already been upgraded several times and is pretty much bullet-proof.

OK. I have this documented.

When I start asking you guys a bunch of questions, I don't want to hear comments like:

"Why are you using that antique C950?"

"That C950 is a POS, they don't even make it anymore"

"Batch fire? You'll never get that to work"

"Why did you use the C950? Are you nuts?"

:lol::lol::lol:

OK. I have this documented.

When I start asking you guys a bunch of questions, I don't want to hear comments like:

"Why are you using that antique C950?"

"That C950 is a POS, they don't even make it anymore"

"Batch fire? You'll never get that to work"

"Why did you use the C950? Are you nuts?"

:lol::lol::lol:

:rofl: Well, how's it running?

you better sell it to me and get the new stuff this old junk anit worth installing

OK, I'll offer up my Holley Commander 950 set-up or a Accel DFI 6.32 dos based ECM and I'll even throw in a computer with Windows 98 system disc, for a DOS lover. Email me at [email protected] with your offers, both systems have wiring harnesses.:D

Hey! the Accel DFI 6.32 has volumetric efficency tables just like the current Gen 7 stuff. It must be the DOS interface scaring people.:D

Hey larry, if you want me to test those injectors just send them in. They have been sitting a long time and can get sticky. I'll flow them let you know what you have.

I know this is from FEB, hope it's not too late.

Hey, Larry, I have been looking around the Commander 950 is a bitch to tune. Holley has new line coming out that looks promising. I expect to be testing one soon enough.

I wouldn't waste my time with that 950. IT gives fuel injection a bad name.

I'm a bunch of years "ahead" of you, even -

I still have one of the original Holley Pro Jection 2bbl TBI setups that I got when they first came out.

Replaced a 4bbl on a small block 3/4 ton van.

I liked the control box setup, but always had to fiddle with it with weather changes.

It was great from a throttle response and mileage perspective.

Now I'm planning a mild top end upgrade to my anemic 81 L81 motor, on a budget, so dug it out and started some research.

I found this Holley efi forum that was of help.
http://www.holley.com/forums/forum.php

Basically, I've found I can increase the max supported hp from 275 up to around 325 by increasing the fuel pressure via the built in regulator, and going to the larger marine injectors (80 to 85 lbs) that can still be found.
Also available is an adapter to use the later style injectors, but that kit is several hundred $ and wouldn't really be worth it for the gain.

I'd also install the closed loop kit to handle the highway driving automatically.

I've already got an Innovate wide band that I t hink would work well to tune the closed loop side, and to keep an eye on the air/fuel on a full time basis.

Not that I would't love to have an adaptable system such as the FAST EZ EFI, or even a mass air setup, but not in the budget any more. Just looking for good gas mileage for taking longer trips after I retire and some fun factor enhancements but not looking for any radical horsepower, so that should be adequate and help the budget so I can afford trans & suspension & brake upgrades, too.

Last edited: