Pinion Brg Sleeves

GTR1999

Gearhead
I machined up a solid pinion sleeve last night. Pretty dull life to machine spaces on a Friday night huh:)

I use the stock sleeves for st cars, the drawn are avail for $50 and I've used a lot of them, but the machined are made from HARD DOM tubing.

Here are they are in all their glory

sleeves.jpg

Solidsleevetomachine.jpg

stockdrawnmachined.jpg

Machined
machinedsleeve.jpg

On pinion
machinebetweenraces.jpg

Hi Paul,
Yes this one I set to use shims. The next one I'll make longer so I can grind it to size. I used the Drawn sleeve as the template. I think I'll change the angle on the OD as well make is shorter.

Nice pick up Gene, that is actually my stock crush sleeve "tool" shown with the sleeve. I slip fit the large bearing ID so I can remove it when I want, then I put a stock sleeve in between the races and start it in a press. Makes life a lot easier. I have a LOT of vette magazines dating back to the late 70's, you would be amazed at what I've seen in them for this job. 10' bars, huge impac guns, pressing the pinion in the housing in a press,etc. This works good. Now lets see if anyone else picks up on it on DC that's the only other place I posted it. You're a pretty sharp guy!

What would be the advantage to this other than easier to change the pinion seal?

It won't compress in extreme use and the seal replacement. It's a personal choice, I like them yet I know others don't even use them- mainly because time is money and they want to do the job fast.

What would be the advantage to this other than easier to change the pinion seal?

It won't compress in extreme use and the seal replacement. It's a personal choice, I like them yet I know others don't even use them- mainly because time is money and they want to do the job fast.

YEARS ago, I remember doing some diffy, I forget which type, and ran into the crush sleeve was too loose...

I know Gary will have a COW over this one....I took a hole saw, in my drill press...and cut a ring of the correct ID...from sheetmetal....slipped that between the large bearing and the crush sleeve, tightened untill everyone seemed happy....lasted for years, under heavy useage too....

parts was NLA or maybe 6 months from BFE somewhere....

:bump::thumbs: