PDA

View Full Version : C5 on C3 brake lovin

EatMoreRice
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a few questions involving swapping to C5 Z06 brakes on a 1979.

First...will i actually be upgrading?
since im going to a 2 piston front/ 1 piston rear from 4 piston all around.
is that an upgrade?

i mean i'll also be using the larger cross drilled rotors and go ahead and upgrade to a C5 master cylinder too.
so i would assume this would be a better setup then the factory.

and Second...can someone point me in the direction of some helping doing this swap. brackets and such. i did a search but didnt see anything.
but that doesn't mean its not there.

thanks guys.

turtlevette
02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
wilwoods are almost as cheap and probably better. you could go with dynalites or superlites on front and dynalites on back.

i think you have to run minimum 17" wheels for the superlite calipers.

corvette engineering has kits at a fairly reasonable price.

the easiest option is to bolt on a direct wilwood replacement caliper that has just come out. They're about 300 each but it saves a lot of effort.

to answer your question, yes c5 brakes are an upgrade. The stock calipers pump air and leak and fade yada yada.

i run the dynalites all around. that allows me to run any wheel i want. Bigger calipers severely limit your wheel choice. I have not been able to burn the dynalites up yet. I spent all afternoon at Mosport trying to do so. Thats staying out on the track with no cool down for about an hour.

Twin_Turbo
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
The 2 pistons on a floating caliper are the same as a 4 piston rigid for the same piston size. With the floating caliper moving while braking the piston extends twice as far as it would with a fixed caliper.

cajos1968
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
What does it involve, to upgrade to C5 calipers. There seem to be alot second hand in Europe.