C5 on C3 brake lovin

EatMoreRice

I have a few questions involving swapping to C5 Z06 brakes on a 1979.

First...will i actually be upgrading?
since im going to a 2 piston front/ 1 piston rear from 4 piston all around.
is that an upgrade?

i mean i'll also be using the larger cross drilled rotors and go ahead and upgrade to a C5 master cylinder too.
so i would assume this would be a better setup then the factory.

and Second...can someone point me in the direction of some helping doing this swap. brackets and such. i did a search but didnt see anything.
but that doesn't mean its not there.

thanks guys.

wilwoods are almost as cheap and probably better. you could go with dynalites or superlites on front and dynalites on back.

i think you have to run minimum 17" wheels for the superlite calipers.

corvette engineering has kits at a fairly reasonable price.

the easiest option is to bolt on a direct wilwood replacement caliper that has just come out. They're about 300 each but it saves a lot of effort.

to answer your question, yes c5 brakes are an upgrade. The stock calipers pump air and leak and fade yada yada.

i run the dynalites all around. that allows me to run any wheel i want. Bigger calipers severely limit your wheel choice. I have not been able to burn the dynalites up yet. I spent all afternoon at Mosport trying to do so. Thats staying out on the track with no cool down for about an hour.

Last edited:
The 2 pistons on a floating caliper are the same as a 4 piston rigid for the same piston size. With the floating caliper moving while braking the piston extends twice as far as it would with a fixed caliper.