How come

kwplot34

Heart Attack
the top of my car has some orange peel and the sides have practically none at all,not that i am complaining was just curious.

I will start a new thread shortly with pics as i finish this paint job off,wet sanding and buffing. As soon as it warms up enough outside that i don't freeze my ass off :push:

I did move the gun a little faster on the sides,a big old sag was always on my mind and lucky for me i did not get any.

If your clear is thick enough, you can wetsand the orange peel out, then buff/polish. I did that to mine... turned out great.

But don't get over-zealous.:bounce:

If your clear is thick enough, you can wetsand the orange peel out, then buff/polish. I did that to mine... turned out great.

But don't get over-zealous.:bounce:

Thats what i am a doing right now,wet sanding and buffing Yee Haw

What kind of polisher are you using?

It's one that Karsten sent me to use,polishing wheel with speed adjustments on it, it was made for this type work. He sent me the applicator pads and some compounds to use.
Bill,i hear you can work wonders with a polisher???????????

Hey Karsten,your tools are still in fine shape and i promise they are being well treated,i know you have not seen them for a while and if mother nature would give me just 1-2 nice days i can be finished with them and send them back, the buffer did say it was home sick and missing that warm Florida sun. would you like a pic of them :loveletter:

Last edited:
I was just curious if it was a ROTARY or a D/A.

A rotary spins in a circular motion between 1500 and 6000 rpms. The D/A (Dual Action) only spins at about 100-400 rpms, but the orbital action is about 1500-6000 opms.

The D/A is much SAFER for an amatuer. It's hard to ruin a paint job with one.

If it's a Rotary, just be sure to KEEP IT MOVING!

That's the number one thing to remember. If you stall with a rotary, it will burn your clearcoat.

(The advantage of a DA - it's safer.
Advantage of a Rotary - it's faster by a factor of 3)

Last edited:
Hey, no rush.... I still have to shoot the final 2 or 3 coats of clear before I can think about buffing..... I wasn't happy with the clearcoat and since I only sprayed 2 coats over the pearl I wetsanded the Ghia with 600 grit once again .... can't leave "good enough" alone....

Just make sure you're buffing outside - it's a huge mess, especially when you use a spray bottle with water to keep the surface cool and the compound wet.

Hey, no rush.... I still have to shoot the final 2 or 3 coats of clear before I can think about buffing..... I wasn't happy with the clearcoat and since I only sprayed 2 coats over the pearl I wetsanded the Ghia with 600 grit once again .... can't leave "good enough" alone....

Just make sure you're buffing outside - it's a huge mess, especially when you use a spray bottle with water to keep the surface cool and the compound wet.

Too late :lol: i tried it on the hood a couple of days ago and now i have little white spots all over my garage :crap: the weekend looks like it my be shaping up for good weather,and wouldn't you know it,I have a date Saturday with a different female again, oh i hope i wake up Sunday feeling ok :rofl: I have NO idea why i keep doing this to myself,life is so simple right now :sos:

...,and wouldn't you know it,I have a date Saturday with a different female again, oh i hope i wake up Sunday feeling ok :rofl: I have NO idea why i keep doing this to myself,life is so simple right now :sos:

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.:banghead::eek:

How's the buffing going Kev? One thing to be aware of is be VERY careful anywhere near edges - you'll burn straight through the paint if you spend too much time on an edge...

How's the buffing going Kev? One thing to be aware of is be VERY careful anywhere near edges - you'll burn straight through the paint if you spend too much time on an edge...

It's not :waxer: I need some warm weather so i can get the car outside and finish wet sanding the car so i can buff it, it's been dang cold outside but the days are getting longer :yahoo:

It's not :waxer: I need some warm weather so i can get the car outside and finish wet sanding the car so i can buff it, it's been dang cold outside but the days are getting longer :yahoo:

Just keep this in mind, The longer you wait the harder the clear is going to get and the harder it will be to cut and buff the peel.

Danny