Your comments

DARROW 74

The wonderful pro form carb. 750 vacuum secondaries

First thing that went wrong (new out of the box) carb leaked out of both front and back fuel bowls down into the motor. After talking to several different people who were in the know:D. I was told to take it apart to see if I could see any problems....I did and all I could see ( being the expert that I am not! and knowing nothing about hollys) was the gaskets looked to be in very poor condition. After telling the factory rep about it he asked that I send it back. Ok got it back, with a note saying that the gaskets were bad. Put it on and ran it. Did not run real well at all. Cutting out at high speed. Float was high, gas was at top of site glass while trying to adjust the level I noticed that it would take a long time for the rear bowl to fill up. well being as I ordered a fuel regulator (After I found out that this carb should not have over 7-8 lbs of pressure, holly reg comes from factory adjusted at 6 lbs.) I guess I have time to take it apart again, Now that I have learned a
little about it I might be able to see a problem.

Well after taking it apart I don,t even think they even took it apart .
lets start with why it was slow to fill the secondary see all the little white particles?
31499a2201c88b1.jpg
this stuff was plugging up the needle valve.
31499a2205ade9c.jpg
then the gasket thing
Well you decide
31499a22025e47c.jpg

And I paid a lot of money for this new PROFORM.
At least I think I can get parts from summitt to repair and I am learning a lot that I did not know.

And also anyone know where I can get a driver for the screws in this pic
31499a220861f29.jpg

Looks to me like the float bowl bolts are tightened down to much and cutting the gasket into,check the float bowl see if it has a sharp edge around it

I know nothing of Proform carbs.....but that looks like a Holley there in the pix....is it a Holley knockoff??? of so....

forgetaboutit.....get your money back....

NEVER ONCE have a seen a good running STREET driven Holley carb....

50 years....

sears....

:crutches::mad:

Those are "clutch head" screws.

I have 4 different sizes in my box and probably only used them a few times in the last 30 years. Drivers don't slip at all.

Used a fair bit in the C1's

Darrow, those oddball screws are called "clutch head" GM used them back in the 50's on all sorts of things. I'll look. I may have a couple of them around. In the meantime, try an old-timey hardware store or your local Snap-On guy.

and regardless of what Gene says, I've had a few Holley carbs that were fine on the street.
All the guys complaining about BG Demon's having quality issues- from those pictures, I'd say BG is not the only one. and FWIW, the Demon that's on Ol' Red right now was PERFECT right out of the box. Took me a while to figure out the Idle-Eze and the 4 corner idle mixture, but once I got a handle on that, it's fine.

Darrow, those oddball screws are called "clutch head" GM used them back in the 50's on all sorts of things. I'll look. I may have a couple of them around. In the meantime, try an old-timey hardware store or your local Snap-On guy.

and regardless of what Gene says, I've had a few Holley carbs that were fine on the street.
All the guys complaining about BG Demon's having quality issues- from those pictures, I'd say BG is not the only one. and FWIW, the Demon that's on Ol' Red right now was PERFECT right out of the box. Took me a while to figure out the Idle-Eze and the 4 corner idle mixture, but once I got a handle on that, it's fine.

I agree some of the cars I have seen have holly type carbs and the owners love them. I will rebuild it then I will judge it. right now I put one of my q jets on and it great. I do need to get with lars and go over my rebuilds with him. I still don't have the right jets. oh well soon I will.

The observations on your ProForm carb are the same as on any new carb. I have had new Holley, BG, and ProForm carbs out of the box with defective parts, crap in the bowl, missing parts, incorrect jetting and faulty settings on a regular basis. You cannot take a new carb out of the box, bolt it on, and expect it to run. Every new carb I process I take the carb completely apart, clean it, check all the specs, correct the jetting, and do a precision assembly and setup on it. You have to do this with any new carb regardless of brand - they are all assembled by idiots.

Lars

For this reason, I call our hobby the "50% Hobby." Only 50% of the parts you buy will ever fit, operate, appear or function as advertised or intended. 50% will have to be reworked and modified by the end user (that's you...) to get them to work. In recent years, I think the percentage has been shifting, and it's not going in your favor...
Lars

For this reason, I call our hobby the "50% Hobby." Only 50% of the parts you buy will ever fit, operate, appear or function as advertised or intended. 50% will have to be reworked and modified by the end user (that's you...) to get them to work. In recent years, I think the percentage has been shifting, and it's not going in your favor...
Lars

Got THAT right, years ago when all this shit started to happen, a guy I worked with had this little phrase....

'Mr. Used 2 B, died yesterday and is dearly missed'......that in response to all the CRAP we dealt with in electronics....on a daily basis....

before long they will be building hi rise buildings that collapse ....

OH wait a minit...they already DO!!!

:crap::ill::gurney::banghead:

Lars

I have to agree with you. But you would think that after a warranty return and them saying that it had bad gaskets. they would replace the bad gaskets????

Home Depot has em drivers in the Dewalt kits if you have a Western Tool for wood working you can get the single bit.
In five months these screws backed out and gas pissed everyware. Lucky I didn't burn.

y1p26X9sAMGijL4lQdQ0mywrReDjJdWAV9rsYywfGO6Uimyhqbc4BdrumM-Zsphgomp

Michael.

Home Depot has em drivers in the Dewalt kits if you have a Western Tool for wood working you can get the single bit.
In five months these screws backed out and gas pissed everyware. Lucky I didn't burn.

y1p26X9sAMGijL4lQdQ0mywrReDjJdWAV9rsYywfGO6Uimyhqbc4BdrumM-Zsphgomp

Michael.

I wounder if lock tight would work or would the gas go through it?

Too much over toooooo many decades, sorry folks, I"m NOT a holley fan....

or any other knockoff either.....

backed up someone who worked internal claims settlement for GEICO, mainly FIRE damage, years ago......90+ percent of the claims....HOLLEY carbs...

go look at enough car shows, hotrods to dragsters...see the fuel leakage traces all over the engine/intake....

Yeh, I know, tmrw a hose breaks and my FI vette goes up....but....

with that history...damned if I go Holley on anything...

:amazed::eek::tth:

backed up someone who worked internal claims settlement for GEICO, mainly FIRE damage, years ago......90+ percent of the claims....HOLLEY carbs...

go look at enough car shows, hotrods to dragsters...see the fuel leakage traces all over the engine/intake....

Yup have to agree, now I am looking for a cheap, high quality, jap made carb.:bonkers::goodnight::goodnight:

Michael.

Consumer's fault. Everyone wants to pay bottom dollar for top parts.

The two are incompatible.

Yup have to agree, now I am looking for a cheap, high quality, jap made carb.:bonkers::goodnight::goodnight:

Michael.

I have never herd of Holley carbs being a fire hazard and i go to plenty of car shows every year and i have never seen fuel leaking all over the motors,I have owned Holley,BG,QJ,Edelbrock never a problem. the only i problem i see is people that do not know how to work on them properley and have a tune problem. I went out and looked at the top of my motor with a Holley and no leaks there.
Guess i better trade all of my carbs in for some cheap Chinese knock off's then.