Geek Time......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I think we need a good thread for us geeks to out geek each other....no cheating now....please be honest without consulting google as we can always know if you REALLY know jack shit or not about the topic.....

SO, I go first, being it's my thread....:D:chinese:

What is the purpose of the burst signal in a color TV set? and how was it separated......

this obviously applies to the old broadcast standard.....not the new did it all stuff.....

:bonkers::crylol:

Ah Gene..I took radio-tv repair back in 71-72 in Vo-tec...I should know that but too many years ago. Here is a softball for you. What 3 components do you need to make a radio receiver? Bonus points for part number(s).

Ah Gene..I took radio-tv repair back in 71-72 in Vo-tec...I should know that but too many years ago. Here is a softball for you. What 3 components do you need to make a radio receiver? Bonus points for part number(s).

Cats whisker or galena crystal variety???

Cats whisker is a razor blade, antenna, high impedance headphones.....

Galena crystal, and toilet paper tube/wire and a cap.....antenna and high impedance headphones....tunes with a single tank circuit, and so the selectivity is broad as a whores hips....

:crutches:

Galena crystal, and toilet paper tube/wire and a cap.....antenna and high impedance headphones....tunes with a single tank circuit, and so the selectivity is broad as a whores hips....

I made my first "radio" (at 10 years of age) using a 1N34A diode, high impedance headphones and a piece of magnet wire for an antenna. No "whiskers" where I grew up. No capacitor or coil. Picked up 3 stations all playing over each other. My dad worked for the N.Y. Telephone Co. and was an Amateur radio operator. General class ....W2NBH. My mother had a Technicians license, WA2EXM...I had full access to all kinds of goodies as a kid. :D

I made my first "radio" (at 10 years of age) using a 1N34A diode, high impedance headphones and a piece of magnet wire for an antenna. No "whiskers" where I grew up. No capacitor or coil. Picked up 3 stations all playing over each other. My dad worked for the N.Y. Telephone Co. and was an Amateur radio operator. General class ....W2NBH. My mother had a Technicians license, WA2EXM...I had full access to all kinds of goodies as a kid. :D

I never had a ounce of support from my parents in ANY interest I ever took up, frankly it was a miserable childhood from MANY aspects, and my only sibling is my 13 years older sister...second mommy....

I envy your support background....but that was then, this is now....

I used to build all sorts of radio crap on my own...got into the stereo hi fi end of it as opposed to ham radio....long story....

:D

My parents didn't really support my hobbies as much as I helped myself to their stash of tubes, transistors and other goodies. My dad was too occupied with his ham radio and "Mars" to spend much time with 7 rug-rats. I grew up with a small circle of buddies that liked electronics. Even "published" a booklet about electricity in 4th grade. To this day I try to spend as much time with my 3 kiddos as I can.

Now you have my curiousty up....How do they work go together etc?

Last edited:

Now you my curiousty up....How do they work go together etc?

I remember from 55+ years ago....they used to call them 'Foxhole Radios'.....as supposedly the GI's would build them to listen to music with....

the razor blade with a piece of wire across the edge, just laying there under very slight tension...acted as the detector diode, same thing as the fine wire known as the 'cats whisker' would do on the open Galena crystal....you IN34 diode was the same thing, just shortened to 'crystal diode'....any one of the 3 could be used as the diode to remove the RF component from the modulation, leaving the audio.....

so to give SOME broad range of tune to block out some frequencies and preferr others...they took some insulated wire and wrapped it neatly/tightly around a toilet paper tube....thinner wire was better, and with enough turns from end to end on there, the thing would pass the old AM radio bands....
but without a variable cap across it, you could not tune it, just heard the strongest station....for ME it was AM 630 on the dial....I forget the call letters, in Wash DC....

coil and one earphone wire to ground I would use a waterpipe or center on electric outlet........other earphone wire to diode, other end of coil and diode other end to antenna strung all over hell in the room....

it was a big deal to go to the local 'war surplus' house, and buy most anyting I wanted for electronic gear....

what amazed ME, was about some 20? years after the John Glen space shot, our first man in space.....the Smithsonian had has capsule on display....when looking at it, I found the EXACT SAME sort of switches, construction, style of wiring, as the surplus crap I played with in grade school.....Phreakout time.....I was laughing my ass off, and wife was wondering I lost my mind or something.....:shocking::crap::1st::p