Zerk fitting thread size?

There are all kinds of thread sizes.

1/4-28 straight, 1/4-28 tapered, 1/16 npt, 1/4 drive-in, 1/4-20, etc

Usually use the 1/4-28 tapered with no leaks in almost all holes that size. Have run into a lot od joints that arent even threaded anymore, just an open hole with not even a plug.

Here is a link with most, but not all fittings.

http://www.saeproducts.com/as_grease_fittings.html

Thanks for the link. According to the info, a tapered Zerk goes into a 1/4''-28 UNF-3B straight-threaded hole. And the less popular straight Zerk goes into a 1/4''-28 UNF-2A straight-threaded hole.

Looks like I'll have to get a 3B tap. Why isn't anything easy!

What does 3B & 2A stand for?

The number stands for the thread class which designates the "fit" of the threads. I believe a class 3 is a slightly smaller tap that results in a tighter thread fit.

Sorry Gene, I don't think any lawyers had anything to do with this.:amazed:

For any I have had to drill and tap, I just used a regular 1/4-28 and never had any probs, but they were just joints, nothing critical.

What does 3B & 2A stand for?

The number stands for the thread class which designates the "fit" of the threads. I believe a class 3 is a slightly smaller tap that results in a tighter thread fit.

Sorry Gene, I don't think any lawyers had anything to do with this.:amazed:

I never knew there was any difference in that shit, as it's always been handled by a one on one replacement....now to find out there are in fact FIVE type of holes for a freeking ZIRC fitting???

yah GOTTA be kiddin' me....

:bonkers::mad:

Yep, class 1,2 and 3 threads. we use them all the time in aviation. Mostly repair stuff, but there are places that spec a specific thread class.

Ive even seen zerks that were like self tapping screws. Handy stuff.

Yep, class 1,2 and 3 threads. we use them all the time in aviation. Mostly repair stuff, but there are places that spec a specific thread class.

Ive even seen zerks that were like self tapping screws. Handy stuff.

That's what I recall using. The threads were tapered, and cut until seated.