earlier dash pad in later C3 ???

MYBAD79

I like how these aftermarket AutoMeter gauges mount in the earlier C3 dash pads (instrument surround). Can these earlier style dash pads (68-77 all the same ??) be fitted into the later style dash (78-82) ?

I THINK, they can.....but pm me in the am and I can find out for sure if my mammery is correct or not.....

but it's my understand so far that you CAN retro a early model there....

not sure what/how far it goes though...too much to remember....

:lol:

No, the only one that would fit with your center console setup would be 77 and even then the 77 center gauge cluster is different on the sides, where the dash panel falls into.

You can see it here, the rounded part mates up with the dash panel, the 78-82 ones don't have that

54867f78b10081.jpg

ooops.... I'm talking about the speedo/tach surround..... here's a photo I found on Ebay, this one has seen better days :clobbered:

2149940b5df1e54.jpg

Yes, but obviously you need the entire setup from a early shark...I dunno about A pillar and header trim...but it will fit the car

It can be done, you need to do some mods though

First thing is you need new heater ducts

Then you need to cut off the 3 tabs that hold the later dash in place, the earlier ones clamp onto the spotwelded doubled rail that makes the lower windshield frame

You will also need to swap steering colums as the collar that slips over the dash panel is not present on the later columns and the diameter is wrong also (bigger diameter, won't fit column cutout on dash pad)

Then there's the wiring you need to sort out which isn't a problem, just a lot of cutting and splicing

TT is correct but on that steering column thing, I managed to get a '78 up column into my '72 and even pull it 3/4 inches off the firewall, toward me a bit for better wheel position reversed the two silver slip tabs on the flange with the vertical bolts....The plastic housing was removed in the rebuild. cut and split to allow it to be slipped in place after the dash/column is in place....

hard to explain, it's a patch work thing, I hold in place with a black zip tie which hardly shows....

:zzz:

Cool... if I can get one for $20-$30 I'll give it a shot.... who's got these AutoMeter speedo/tach installed in this older dash pad ? I think Rosslato ??? Saw some pics not too long ago but can't remember when, where and who's :huh:

I got one for $20 :D

I think I'll be making a mold before I start cutting so I can make a fiberglass part in case I screw it up.... we'll see once I get the dash pad...

Cool... if I can get one for $20-$30 I'll give it a shot.... who's got these AutoMeter speedo/tach installed in this older dash pad ? I think Rosslato ??? Saw some pics not too long ago but can't remember when, where and who's :huh:

I had them in the 71 I had. I used coffee can bottoms for the mounting plates. Here's a few pictures if it helps...Jeff
speedoandtach2.jpg

speedoandtach1.jpg

angledgauges1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
Cool... if I can get one for $20-$30 I'll give it a shot.... who's got these AutoMeter speedo/tach installed in this older dash pad ? I think Rosslato ??? Saw some pics not too long ago but can't remember when, where and who's
I had them in the 71 I had. I used coffee can bottoms for the mounting plates. Here's a few pictures if it helps...Jeff

Jeff, who's gauges are those??and what size?? do you happen to know if they make a 7 grand tach instead of ten grand??

the speedo, I like muchly.....

do you happen to know if they make a 7 grand tach instead of ten grand??

Steward Warner makes a 8000 rpm tach and a 160mph speedo - I used to have SW instruments but I did not the speedo to work with my speed sensor. I did not like to mix the instruments so I returned both speedo and tach and got AutoMeter instead. I did not like the 10 grand tach either but I wanted silver faces so the choice was limited....

You can get these at Summitracing in numerous designs. AutoMeter has a few designs with a 7000 rpm tach - the "old tyme white" would look great .... ATM1699 is the part number for the 5" diameter tach, ATM1689 is the 5" 120mph speedo.

Jeff, who's gauges are those??and what size?? do you happen to know if they make a 7 grand tach instead of ten grand??

The gauges are Autometer Phantoms. Can't remember the different tachs available but I ordered them through JEGS. The Tach and Speedo are 5 inchers and the others are 2 1/16 inchers. When you order them, you need to specify the correct Fuel gauge for specific GM cars. (there are different ones) The small ones fit in the center cluster perfectly with no modifications to the existing openings. I used cut PVC rings painted semi gloss black to angle the gauges but you can buy them fairly cheap through JEGS as well:beer:

I received the dash parts today. The dash pad is not in very good shape but it can be fixed - looks like I'll have to cut both dash pieces to make it fit :smash:

I' repairing all cracks on the back side with high density 2K urethane foam - nasty stuff but adheres to almost anything and is rocksolid: "great stuff" for adults :bounce:

21499cb9fd8762f.jpg

Here's the two potmetal rings that were included (these are more valuable than the whole dashpad)....

21499cb9fbda649.jpg.

These don't look at all like what's shown on Jeff's photos.... looks like I'm missing the plastic piece that goes over the potmetal rings ???