Picked up a Strat

Jsup

So I decided to sell my Tele Elite. Tough choice as it is nearly impossible to replace and in perfect condition. There's one on Craig's list, other than mine, and only 1 other one on EBAY in the past 6 months, which is as far as I can search.

I realized that I've had my strat for 26 years. Hate to get rid of it. I got a killer deal on the Strat. $1100 new, and it's time for a change. They are $2200 list price, and typically sell for $1750 and change.

The last Tele Elite just went for $1125 (I paid $400) I've seen them go as high as $1500. So it will be a financial wash, maybe even a gain on mine. I have 30 watchers with five days left.

SO I picked up an American Strat Deluxe with three singles and an S1 switch. Five way pick up switch. I like the SSS config over the HSS.

Cherry sunburst with a Maple Neck, this one has a rosewood neck:
dz7179247_lg1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the Maple fretboard:
16359.JPG

Last edited:
SCHWEET looking git fiddle there.....I wish my folks had let me take guitar or drums....instead of Piano.....

oh well.....

:gurney:

nice,, really nice,,, skunk stripe maple, my pick,, stopped by a Guitar Center on Sat looking for a eiphone firebird,, said they didnt sell many, so they dont stock them in their stores. just online sales,,,well

here's a interesting link on vintage fenders,

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#tele

Wife got me a Marshall amp for my BD :} Giving up my old Garnet 70's tube

Last edited:
Very nice. Where'd you get it? How's the balance and fretboard play? Smooth?

Been looking at the fenders at the local places...they are hurting so prices are negotiable. I don't have any particular one in mind...just browsing.

I like my Les Paul knock-off...great balance and nice sound and easy playing and true sound.

nice,, really nice,,, skunk stripe maple, my pick,, stopped by a Guitar Center on Sat looking for a eiphone firebird,, said they didnt sell many, so they dont stock them in their stores. just online sales,,,well

Fender is having a huge price increase soon, like THIS WEEK. Prices went up 30%. My friend picked up about 10 guitars in the last week. Got an American Strat with the S1 for $700. He picked up the some Eric Johnsons for just over a grand. He was buying them up for the past three weeks before the price increases. He has some nice stuff. Got an Epiphone with EMGs for $450, that's a $900 guitar. There's lots of leftover bargains if you want, but they are drying up fast.

If you like mine, I can tell you where to get the same one for $1140. There's only 1 left. They are selling for $1750 and change, PM me I'll point you the right way.

BTW, great link. I read through that over the weekend. Great site.

Last edited:

Been looking at the fenders at the local places...they are hurting so prices are negotiable. I don't have any particular one in mind...just browsing.

I like my Les Paul knock-off...great balance and nice sound and easy playing and true sound.

Dont you have a Guitar Center on E Wendover? Never been to that one, go by there,, my doctor is on Benjamin Parkway.

I don't know yet, didn't get it. I left $500 on it and will pay the balance after my EBAY ad runs out on Monday.

I played one in a local shop that I thought was a bargain for $1400. I got this one from Wildwood Guitars in CO. My friend bought 2 Eric Johnsons from him, so he did right by me.

I had the same deal from another company that Wildwood matched. I can get the name of the other company to someone who may want it, but it's a RIGHT NOW kinda deal. You CAN NOT lose on this.

The balance on the strats I tried, were all fantastic, I love the satin finish over the thick, shiny finish on the back of the neck.

I'll have my G&L Tele, BTW, G&L is a totally under rated guitar. And this Strat.

Fender is having a huge price increase soon, like THIS WEEK. Prices went up 30%. My friend picked up about 10 guitars in the last week. Got an American Strat with the S1 for $700. He picked up the some Eric Johnsons for just over a grand. He was buying them up for the past three weeks before the price increases. He has some nice stuff. Got an Epiphone with EMGs for $450, that's a $900 guitar. There's lots of leftover bargains if you want, but they are drying up fast.

If you like mine, I can tell you where to get the same one for $1140. There's only 1 left. They are selling for $1750 and change, PM me I'll point you the right way.

Thanks for the offer, going to wait on a Firebird,, its the guitar I always wanted in the 70's ,, you know when $150 dollars was as hard to come up with as $25,000.....lol

Thanks for the offer, going to wait on a Firebird,, its the guitar I always wanted in the 70's ,, you know when $150 dollars was as hard to come up with as $25,000.....lol

Right?! $500 was just the same to me as $1MM. I didn't have either.

I worked and bought all my own equipment through school.

Here's my G&L if you haven't seen it. Looks lot like the Strat, but more orange.

2 PC Maple neck, no skunk stripe. Burlwood finish. Best instrument I ever played.

I had a car accident and my ring finger is screwed up. I'm hoping playing will get my finger better. I go to PT 3 times a week. If not, it's back to the piano for me.

352194876.jpg

Last edited:

Dont you have a Guitar Center on E Wendover? Never been to that one, go by there,, my doctor is on Benjamin Parkway.

Yep, that's where I got my Epiphone...also quite a bit of equipment for my kids. There's also a Don's on the east side. Good place.

Speaking of Fenders....did you see Bruce play at halftime of the superbowl? I think he was playing his tele......looked well worn.

Then yesterday I get junk mail from either guitar center or music city with the new worn Fender guitar look.

Nice axe!

I have never played a Fender with the S1 switch. Like to know what you think of it.

This is a picture of my 1977. I did something similar to the S1 switch when it was about 2 years old. I needed one guitar that could provide a humbucker sound and a Strat sound. I didn't want to loose the Strat versatility by replacing the back pickup with a Gibson so I added the bridge pickup coil with a blend pot.

Pickups were wound by Jason Lollar, the maple neck is one of the first Warmoth necks ever made. It's kinda beat but, back in the day, I looked at guitars as tools. Function over style.

MyStrat.jpg

Speaking of Fenders....did you see Bruce play at halftime of the superbowl? I think he was playing his tele......looked well worn.

Then yesterday I get junk mail from either guitar center or music city with the new worn Fender guitar look.

Yeah, they are called "ROAD WORN" series. It's a $300 upgrade. I think they do it with stickers. Every "ROAD WORN" guitar is exactly "worn"

Personally, I think anyone who pays $300 extra for stickers, or paint, or however they do it, is an idiot. Spend the money on lessons. Posers!:rofl:

Looked like Springsteen was playing his classic Tele. According to my book on Teles which I happen to have right next to me is that Springsteen plays an Esquire with an added pickup.

I have to go look at my BTR Album, yes I said Album, and see the headstock. I do believe it is an Esquire.

yea,, they had the worn tele and strats,,, right at the door as you walk in, also a worn, new copy of SRV's strat for sale,, stickers and all... my daughter said,,, why would you pay that much for a worn out guitar,,,,lol she thought they were used,,,,

Nice axe!

I have never played a Fender with the S1 switch. Like to know what you think of it.

This is a picture of my 1977. I did something similar to the S1 switch when it was about 2 years old. I needed one guitar that could provide a humbucker sound and a Strat sound. I didn't want to loose the Strat versatility by replacing the back pickup with a Gibson so I added the bridge pickup coil with a blend pot.

Pickups were wound by Jason Lollar, the maple neck is one of the first Warmoth necks ever made. It's kinda beat but, back in the day, I looked at guitars as tools. Function over style.

MyStrat.jpg

NICE!

Here's how the S1 works:

Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade and 2-Position Push/Push S-1™
S-1 Switch Up
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup in Parallel
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup in Parallel
Position 5. Neck Pickup

S-1 Switch Down
Position 1. Bridge Pickup in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 2. Bridge Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 3. Bridge/Middle/Neck Pickups with Neck and Bridge Pickups in Parallel and in Series with Middle pickup
Position 4. Neck Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup in Series with Middle Pickup

The middle pickup is wound in reverse of the neck and bridge pickup, so when you combine them essentially you get a humbucking pickup.

NICE!

Here's how the S1 works:

Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade and 2-Position Push/Push S-1™
S-1 Switch Up
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup in Parallel
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup in Parallel
Position 5. Neck Pickup

S-1 Switch Down
Position 1. Bridge Pickup in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 2. Bridge Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 3. Bridge/Middle/Neck Pickups with Neck and Bridge Pickups in Parallel and in Series with Middle pickup
Position 4. Neck Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup in Series with Middle Pickup

The middle pickup is wound in reverse of the neck and bridge pickup, so when you combine them essentially you get a humbucking pickup.

That is basically what I did. Two of my pickups are reverse wound and reverse magnetic polarity and I can blend the back coil in with any of the typical Strat 5-way sounds. In 1980, I needed to get Mark Knopfler's sound and Van Halen's sound out of the same guitar. This is the most versatile guitar I have ever played.

The S1 switch sounds like it might do the same thing but I think the secret to a proper humbucker sound is closer coil spacing (to avoid phase cancellation). Like to know what you think of it when you get it.

That is basically what I did. Two of my pickups are reverse wound and reverse magnetic polarity and I can blend the back coil in with any of the typical Strat 5-way sounds. In 1980, I needed to get Mark Knopfler's sound and Van Halen's sound out of the same guitar. This is the most versatile guitar I have ever played.

The S1 switch sounds like it might do the same thing but I think the secret to a proper humbucker sound is closer coil spacing (to avoid phase cancellation). Like to know what you think of it when you get it.

Well I can't bend my finger yet. I'm hoping this will be part of my PT and I can play again. I'm optimistic. Right now my last knuckle won't bend on my ring finger and my middle knuckle is limited.

Kinda stupid to buy a guitar now huh?

I've played them at my friends house, best I could, they do sound great. Versitile. From classic Strat to pretty fat, and clean.

Last edited: