LTF: Steering linkage part

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I'm rounding up parts for the steering linkage between the stock '69 column and the front steer rack I put in. I'm trying to use some C4 parts I have laying around, and it looks like I can use the lower u-joint (and rag joint), saving me some money. Now, I need to find a shaft part that bolts to the rag joint, but instead of it being all one piece with a shaft, it need to be splined to accept a 3/4-24(?) splined shaft. This part would look similar to the stamped steel part that clamps to the C3 column, and then bolts to the rag joint. The spacing of the bolt holes looks to be about 1.875 to 1.880. Anybody know of a production car that uses a piece like I'm describing?
Thanks for any info.

IM001008.jpg

YES, check Lumina or maybe another GM product....I did my hookup via a junkyard, and found a old style column to modern Ujoint rather easily....

sorry I forget the vehicle now....wasn't interested in making paperwork for the install, since in '02 it was a experiment for me, not some kit form thing....

Why do you want to use a rag joint with a rack ?

I just got the Flaming River U-joints and shaft to adapt the '79 steering column to the GrandAm rack - very nice pieces, worth the money.

Why do you want to use a rag joint with a rack ?

I just got the Flaming River U-joints and shaft to adapt the '79 steering column to the GrandAm rack - very nice pieces, worth the money.

Well, the rag joint is built into the "free" u-joint I'm trying to use. I priced out a couple u-joints and shaft from Borgerson, and quality steering stuff isn't cheap. I'm just trying to use as much inexpensive factory stuff as I can.

The end of the C4 shaft with the Rag joint is the end that goes to the rack, correct? So you need the other end that has the double D (C4 steering) converted to the C3 steering spline?

The end of the C4 shaft with the Rag joint is the end that goes to the rack, correct? Yes. So you need the other end that has the double D (C4 steering) converted to the C3 steering spline?

Yeah, kinda. I'll be purchasing a u-joint that slides onto the lower steering column (1"-36), with hopefully a 3/4"-24 round (internally) splined other end. This would hook to the round shaft that goes down to the piece I'm trying to locate (that bolts to the rag joint). I do have a backup piece that's been taking up shelf space for years. It will bolt to the rag joint, but it's a double D configuration. It'll work, but I just like the looks of the round 3/4 shaft. (Of course, this whole plan might just go out the window if I find something incredibly cheap in a junkyard that has all the right parts.)

I been a junkyard hotrodder for decades....always check there FIRST....be amazed what you can find.....

:lol::lol: