Microprocessor based HEI module

turtlevette

The Turdle
No disrespect, but I think you're wasting your money "upgrading" the HEI for your engine. The stock HEI puts out enough energy to run your engine, and already has automatic dwell control circuitry in it. The rev limiter/traction control is an amusing feature, but are you busting the tires loose so often that that's a problem? I've respected your frequent calls of "BS" in the past when someone puts overpriced stuff on their car. I'm starting to get the impression your philosophy is changing. ??????

aren't you an electrical engineer? If anyone could understand the benefits of digital microprocessor based control i would think it woud be you.

I could see al lot of potential benefits. Coil charging time can be adaptive and slight modifications to the timing curve could be made.

I did notice an improvement in cold starts when first upgrading to an MSD module and matched coil so i know that is not BS.

This all said i, am dubious of the incrimental increase in performance by upgrading to the digital version. Thats why i asked for opinions and thank you for that.

If someone were in need of rev limiting it would definitely be a reason.

aren't you an electrical engineer? If anyone could understand the benefits of digital microprocessor based control i would think it woud be you. Yes, I am an electrical engineer. I used to design ICs, ignition modules, ECMs and PCMs for one of the big three. I definitely understand the benefits of digital circuitry. I also understand the concept of overkill for certain applications.

I could see al lot of potential benefits. Coil charging time can be adaptive and slight modifications to the timing curve could be made. The stock HEI already has adaptive dwell built into it. It will adjust the dwell angle/time to compensate for RPM and battery voltage. If you are constantly fiddling with different coils, then an adjustable dwell/peak current is a nice feature, as long as you know what you're doing.
I did notice an improvement in cold starts when first upgrading to an MSD module and matched coil so i know that is not BS. :skeptic:

This all said i, am dubious of the incrimental increase in performance by upgrading to the digital version. Thats why i asked for opinions and thank you for that.

If someone were in need of rev limiting it would definitely be a reason.

A rev limiting function is a nice item on a steep geared drag car. I see no problem with someone wanting that as a safety feature. For those of us who prefer road course stuff, over-revving is rarely an issue, and I've never spent any money towards that end.