TKO II Installed

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
I had the new TKO II that I purchased from another forum member installed. It is probably one of the best improvements (next to the aluminum radiator) that I have made to the car. I have only driven the car 25 miles or so but the .82 overdrive is very well suited for the 3:55 gears in the rear. Highway cruising RPM's have dropped from 3000 to 2000 @ about 70 MPH. Noise and vibration are reduced dramatically at high speeds too, what a relief! I'll be posting some pictures in a few days as this was not a direct fit TKO and some VetteMod's had to be made.

:beer:

Last edited:
shifter mod pic's

The shifter had to be modified as I cheaped out and did not purchase a side mount shifter for the Tremec. If you want to install a side mount shifter on a top loader you have to cut out the side of the shifter housing. I have followed several other posts on various forums as far as shifter mods are concerned and they are are basically the same, fabricate a "Z" or "U" shaped bracket and relocate the shifter. In my case a "U" shaped bracket was fabricated and installed along with cutting and welding the shift stick so it would lean back a bit for more comfort.
100_3132.jpg
[/IMG]

I made a cardboard template for a sheet metal patch around the shifter, cut out and installed the sheet metal patch then installed a small rubber shift boot to keep out any air/dirt/noise.

After that I had to modify the center console because it would not clear the "U" bracket. I cut out the shift indicator from an old center console I had, then I bought a large rubber shift boot and simply fitted it into the opening, it fit reasonably well enough without any fasteners. The bellows on the shift boot extend under the center console and hold the boot firmly in place. After a trial fitting I found I had to remove the chrome rectangle from the top of the shift boot to allow it to be a little more flexible. The shift boot was stiff enough to move the shifter back into neutral before removing the chrome geegaw.
100_3135.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3136.jpg
[/IMG]
The rubber mounting flange on the large shift boot had to be cut off for clearance.
100_3137.jpg
[/IMG]
The results
100_3147.jpg
[/IMG]
100_3148.jpg
[/IMG]
:hi:

So how do you like it after driving it for a few days ?? I assume by now you have put a few more miles on it.... isn't this one of the best mods for our C3s ?? I upgraded from a TH350 so for me it was like a different car....

:1st:

Last edited:
So how do you like it after driving it for a few days ?? I assume by now you have put a few more miles on it.... isn't this one of the best mods for our C3s ?? I upgraded from a TH350 so for me it was like a different car....

:1st:

Those are the same words my girlfriend said after driving in the 'Vette with me.

I love the new transmission, the shifting is still a little "notchy" feeling but I understand that will smooth out after a while. RPM's, road noise and vibration have all been reduced dramatically. Gas mileage, if I keep my foot out of it, has improved greatly. It really is like a different car on the highway but I can still use gears 1-4 for a little fun.

glad to hear your happy with it... i kind of wish i would have installed and drove it but then i would have taken a bigger hit when selling it...... i think it would have been fun behind the 550hp motor i'm building but thought better of it since i'm going to spray another 250 at it and that might be a hand full LOL. Plus i plan on adding a turbo or two later on and taking off the nitrous and turbos like steady pull.

glad to hear your happy with it... i kind of wish i would have installed and drove it but then i would have taken a bigger hit when selling it...... i think it would have been fun behind the 550hp motor i'm building but thought better of it since i'm going to spray another 250 at it and that might be a hand full LOL. Plus i plan on adding a turbo or two later on and taking off the nitrous and turbos like steady pull.

I have been watching your posts - you are definitely building one serious machine, most likely it will be quite a beast to tame!
Thanks again for selling the package to me, the .82 overdrive was right on the money for my gearing.:1st:

Yes i hope my car will run well.....

going ot work on it alot this weekend. i'll take lots of pics.

I too just got done with a T5 swap, greatest thing for a c3 ever! Love mine. Loads of fun to drive now.

Where did you get the big ole boot? for the shifter I can only find smaller ones.

thanks

tt