Wilwood Parking Brake/Spot caliper

haven't seen that before. thanks for turning me on to it. i've already gotten rid of the crappy original e-brake. looking for a good alternative.

Years ago, on a old GTO tow car, I had disc brakes on front, the thing about the boat ramps was only the park position of the tranny stopped the car....a tad nervous of position as anyone knows drum brakes do not hold for shit in reverse......so....

I found a little dash button I spliced into the front disc line from m/cyl to splitter, that meant I could lock the brakes really good, push the button to block the lines from relaxing, and it gave me a good solid 30 minits to deal with the boat/trailer......

it was NOT good for parking on a hill, for instance....wheels to curb, cured any possible problem there.....

so there is another option....I got mine from JCWhitney of all places....:waxer::noob::rain::yahoo:

Those in your link are indeed wilwoods, just sold by revolution brakes. I have the wilwood spot calipers. Larry (BBShark) has a thread about brembo brakes and he used very similar brembo spot calipers, with pics and all. I would suggest you check it out. One thing is, the wilwoods don't fit the stock caliper width so you'll need to fab some alu spacers for the 2 halves. Furthermore, being a floating type mechanical spot caliper the bracket needs to be very precise since the bolts that hold the caliper also are what it floats on. Have it off and it will jam.

24989c40ec407a.jpg

24989c496b4f1d.jpg

Wow that brembo setup of BBShark is great! TT do you have any cad files for those brackets you made? I assume they are for your normal c3?

I bought this like that, off ebay :D I didn't make the brackets, but I'll have to make some new ones, these will never work.

Wilwood has tech drawings for these though!

Here you go: note the max disc width listed!
2498a2dedb317f.jpg=

Well the brackets looked nice! Keep me updated on your progess. I may pick up a set of those this week and see what I can come up with.

I'm not doing anything with them at the moment, they're just lying here...like so many parts :D

what do you think about this?
looking at the spot caliper, what about mounting a couple of small, solid disks, say 8" or 9" inside the halfshalf ala jaguar XKE to use just as an e-brake? just a thought

what do you think about this?
looking at the spot caliper, what about mounting a couple of small, solid disks, say 8" or 9" inside the halfshalf ala jaguar XKE to use just as an e-brake? just a thought

I would do the drive shaft and ONE caliper, having a 3-1 leverage on it....

IF you can find room....

:crutches:

I thought about that, but thought it would be just as easy to make a bracket for the spot caliper. That is definitely a good concept though.

I also thought about taking a block of wood- jam it behind the tire or maybe like a chain attatched to a rod that you drive in the ground ;)

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Since I cut off the pinion mount i have room, id have to have an incorporated pulley for the rear end pump also. I have a motorcycle rotor just for this and will have to weld it to the pinion yoke. It would be a clean setup for sure. There are hot rod pinion mount parking brake kits out there by the way.

I thought about that, but thought it would be just as easy to make a bracket for the spot caliper. That is definitely a good concept though.

I also thought about taking a block of wood- jam it behind the tire or maybe like a chain attatched to a rod that you drive in the ground ;)

Hey, I live in Florida, Down the road a piece is a town known for Flea Markets....Mt. Dora......I have climbed Mt. Dora......elevation 30'.......

:yahoo::bonkers::pprrtt:

...I have the wilwood spot calipers. ...One thing is, the wilwoods don't fit the stock caliper width so you'll need to fab some alu spacers for the 2 halves. Furthermore, being a floating type mechanical spot caliper the bracket needs to be very precise since the bolts that hold the caliper also are what it floats on. Have it off and it will jam.

24989c496b4f1d.jpg

I know this is an old post - but I am interested in doing this for the rear to.

TT your ref to the "stock" caliper -- did you mean the stock rotor? I ask, as my rotors are thicker than the max width Wilwood makes for their spot caliper brake. Seems like I could do a disassemble, shim a bit to make rotor width, add longer bolts, and fab up a means of attachment to the mounts for the "main calipers."
Alignment considered of course.

If that is the case, I might jump on a set on eBay. (just over a hundred bucks for a pair vs. 70-80 each through Summit/Speedway/Jegs.)

Thanks -
Cheers - Jim

Yes, rotor width. If you look at the caliper you can increase the shim width in the center (the bare alu piece is not stock!!!!!) but you'd have to get longer bolts that double as slider guides too. The pic you quoted is a widened caliper, it does fit over a 1.1" thick rotor instead of the .83 or whatever they are specced at.