GM story - How General Motors Took the Lead

MYBAD79

true ???

Now, practically everyone has heard some version of Henry Ford's famous story. But where did General Motors come from? How did it take the lead?

Well, if you look back to the earliest days of General Motors, you won't find a steering wheel or an engine.

You'll find a bathtub, with David Buick inside. The Scottish-born Buick was a successful plumber/inventor. In the 1880s, he developed a method for adhering porcelain enamel to cast-iron tubs that is still used today. And by the 1890s, Buick's interests had turned from plumbing to engine valves.

"Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a Buick?"

Buick invented the overhead valve engine, which would become an industry standard. He was less successful getting his motor company on the road, however. He had a rapid succession of companies that all folded due to lack of cash or lack of product. In one three-year period, he reportedly managed to produce only two cars--hardly mass production!

In 1904, when Buick's latest company, the Buick Motor Company of Flint, Michigan, again ran into money troubles, the backers brought in the leading, local horse-drawn carriage maker to jump-start the company. William Durant came aboard as Buick's general manager.

With Durant's promotional expertise and sales abilities, the company was soon galloping ahead in sales of the horseless carriages. By 1908, the company's finances had improved enough that Durant was able to create a holding company for Buick, naming it General Motors.

"Not Your Father's Oldsmobile"

Meanwhile, also in the late 1890s, Ransom E. Olds founded his own car company, introducing the Curved Dash Oldsmobile in 1901. Selling for $650, this was the first mass-produced, low-priced car, predating Henry Ford's Model T. Still, while at first the Curved Dash was a big success, by 1907 the company's finances were faltering.

Durant stepped in and purchased Oldsmobile as General Motors' first acquisition in 1908. He followed up in 1909 by buying Cadillac, Oakland (which would later become Pontiac), and many smaller firms, including the Reliance Motor Truck Company and the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company (the predecessors of GMC Truck).

But all the acquisitions soon left Durant strapped for cash, too. A bankers' trust took over General Motors in 1910 and told Durant to hit the road. Forced out of the company he founded, Durant turned to Louis Chevrolet, a race car driver, who had once raced cars for Durant to promote Buick.

"See the USA in Your Chevrolet"

In addition to racing, Chevrolet designed cars. In 1911, he and Durant went into business together, forming the Chevrolet Motor Car Company. With Chevrolet's designs and Durant's salesmanship, the company did well and Durant secretly began buying shares in General Motors. By 1916, Durant had enough shares to take back control of General Motors and become president of the company. The Chevrolet brand became part of General Motors soon after.

In 1920, the bankers forced Durant out again, this time for good. He tried starting another car company, but it never did as well as General Motors. Durant ended up opening a bowling alley in Flint in 1940, which he ran until he had a stroke in 1942. None of the key figures in General Motors'
turbulent start--Durant, Olds, Buick, or Chevrolet--ended up wealthy. In fact, most died penniless.

But General Motors continued to grow under the new leadership of Alfred P. Sloan. Sloan organized all the brands assembled by Durant into differently priced rungs on "the ladder of success," so that each brand represented a step up for a car buyer. From an entry-level Chevrolet to a luxurious Cadillac, Sloan's General Motors had "a car for every purse and purpose." By 1931, no car company sold more.

NOT to mention KETTERING, Sloan's cheif engineer, inventor of the electric start....

which convinced my father to buy a Chebby after his T Ford broke or sprained his wrist....

Dad was born in '1905.....

TO which I have to add another post,

I find the most fascinating history is of the modern enough age, say from Cival War as a rough starting point.....INDUSTRIAL HISTORY.....

the history of science, mechanics, combustion, electric developments, the modern age foundations, the men who actually DID something instead of stand behind a camel or mule ....or chucked spears....

THE history of men to be respected, from say explorers of which so little is known because Guttenberg didn't do hit newspaper business yet....to the modern PRODUCTIVE leaders like Oppenheimer or the German Rocket men....

all the rest of human history is very PALE by comparison of the last ~150 years or so.....

from the ass end of a mule to the moon......show me a greater tale,......in ANY time frame......

:bounce::bump::thumbs:

Deeds and Kettering formed the Dayton Electric Company (Delco) in 1908, after leaving NCR. Kettering developed the starter, an adaptation of the motor from the cash register, in 1911. In 1912, Cadillac installed the unit. Ford added it in 1919 as an option. Kettering went to GM in 1920.

Man these dates and guys are way before my time,so some of you guys actually remeber when all this stuff happened :clobbered:

Man these dates and guys are way before my time,so some of you guys actually remeber when all this stuff happened :clobbered:

NO, just a olde tyme fascinating topic I found interesting in a otherwise drowning sea of useless information in grade school.....

SO sad when my silly little engineering company closed down,

it was a mental challenge for it's time, FUN, to me.....

:thumbs::goodevil::crylol:

from the ass end of a mule to the moon......show me a greater tale,......in ANY time frame......

Gene, That may be the most eloquent and profound statement you have ever made here. Kudos.;)

Deeds and Kettering formed the Dayton Electric Company (Delco) in 1908, after leaving NCR. Kettering developed the starter, an adaptation of the motor from the cash register, in 1911. In 1912, Cadillac installed the unit. Ford added it in 1919 as an option. Kettering went to GM in 1920.

Not to be too nitpicky here, but after working for Delco for 24 years, we prefer the more accurate Dayton Engineering Laboratory Company.

That's all. ;)

TO which I have to add another post,

I find the most fascinating history is of the modern enough age, say from Cival War as a rough starting point.....INDUSTRIAL HISTORY.....

the history of science, mechanics, combustion, electric developments, the modern age foundations, the men who actually DID something instead of stand behind a camel or mule ....or chucked spears....

THE history of men to be respected, from say explorers of which so little is known because Guttenberg didn't do hit newspaper business yet....to the modern PRODUCTIVE leaders like Oppenheimer or the German Rocket men....

all the rest of human history is very PALE by comparison of the last ~150 years or so.....

:bounce::bump::thumbs:

Makes you wonder , if the we had not spent a 1,000 years in the dark ages, where we would be today or what planet.:D

Thanks Karsten, that was an interesting chronology and evolution of GM automobiles. I hope we haven't seen the end of GM as we know it. It is hard to say what lies ahead as the business world runs through its cycles. If the past is any indication of where we are going, the future looks bright with greater accleration of technological development. I hope it will come from the US and we can capitalize on it to help our economy.

I hope GM is successful in riding the storm out....

(Now, for ten points, who can tell me the connection that sentence has to this post other than expressing a sentiment :D)

664988f98033e5a.jpg

" The Speedwagon was a workhorse-type truck popular in the early days of automobile history. It was built by the REO Motor Car Co. of Lansing, Michigan. The company was more commonly referred to as Reo, pronounced like the Spanish rio.

REO are the initials of the rather incredibly named Ransom Eli Olds, for whom the Oldsmobile is named. He was born in Geneva, Ohio in 1864. In 1897, as a pioneering automobile designer, he teamed with Samuel Smith to form the Olds Motor Vehicle Co., which later became Oldsmobile.

Olds left in 1904 to start his own company, but Oldsmobile retained the rights to the "Olds" name, so he went with "REO." The first REO cars shipped in 1905. General Motors purchased Oldsmobile in 1908.

In was 1909 when the REO began making Speedwagons, which quickly became famed for their power and endurance. They were used as fire and police trucks, ambulances and dump trucks, and for similar demanding duties. Production peaked in the late 1920s.

REO was nearly killed by the Depression and by 1957 was only a truck line, which was then purchased by the White Truck company. White continued producing a "Diamond-Reo" line until 1974.

The band REO Speedwagon formed in 1968 and enjoyed superstardom in the 1980s with such hits as "Can't Fight This Feeling," "Keep on Loving You" and similar clichés.

Their band logo, featuring wings and a prominent "REO," references the old REO Motor Vehicle Co. logo. And the cover of their 1971 debut album is a close-up detail of an actual REO Speedwagon.

Keyboardist Neal Doughty once said in an interview that he learned of the vehicle in a college class on the history of transportation, where he saw "REO Speedwagon" written on a blackboard. Supposedly, he saw this on the very day the band began searching for a name."

664988f981a1f42.jpg

"Ridin The Storm Out"

Ridin' the storm out, waitin' for the thaw out
On a full moon night in the Rocky Mountain winter.
My wine bottle's low, watching for the snow
I've been thinking lately of what I'm missing in the city.
And I'm not missing a thing
Watchin' the full moon crossing the range
Ridin' the storm out
Ridin' the storm out.

My lady's beside me, she's there to guide me.
She says that alone we've finally found home.
The wind outside is frightening,
but it's kinder than the lightning life in the city.
It's a hard life to live but it gives back what you give.

Last edited: