stoopidity is expensive!

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
i really shouldn't call the guy stupid. i suppose we all have these moments.
i bought a set of rims i hoped would fit my trailer (talk about stoopid!). turns out they were 5x4.75 pattern when i needed 5x5 pattern. i even knew they weren't the right ones because i recognized them as S-10 rims but the seller assured me they were off a 1500, which should be 5x5. anyway, i didn't give more ($60) than what i knew i could get reselling if i was wrong. so i kind of covered myself. i'm out about 1/2 of my time. oh well, shit happens.
so i repost these on craigslist and this guy calls me. he says he has an '87 camaro and wants to know if they'll fit. i tell him, i think they'll fit. the pattern should be right. so he comes over and we measure the pattern and confirm it's 5x4.75. golden, right? not so much.
here's where it gets expensive (for him). i get an e-mail from him later that day that says he took the wheels and his car to a tire shop to have them mounted. so the shop mounts and balances the tires on the rims and THEN find out that the rim hub is smaller than his spindle hub,the rims won't fit over the bearing hub! so then they take his old tires off the new rims and put them back on the old rims for him. the total bill was $80, $40 for the first mount and balance, $40 for the second. he ends up giving the shop the rims in exchange for the work and drives off with the same wheels/tires he rolled up in.
i feel kind of bad for the guy, he seemed like a decent enough fellow. if he had just test fit the rims before, i would have given him his money back since i thought they would fit (still kind of surprised they didn't). i had several people asking me for them so i doubt i would have had them more than a week before recouping my money. as it stands, i can't refund him any money if i don't have the rims in return.
i do have an old camaro manual i'm going to give the guy just to kind of ease the sting a little. i'll never use it again so no skin off my teeth.
i can't help but feel a little bad. i never intended to screw the guy. if i had known they wouldn't fit, i just wouldn't have sold them to him. but seriously, who the hell doesn't test fit rims first?!?!?!?

Don't feel bad, there are SO MANY variations on a freeking wheel these daze, there are NO TWO alike any more....getting stupid...and the most insidiious of it is the offset problems,,,,,much less the hub diameters, and then Lug centric or Hub centric.....I got burned good on that LUG centric crap in 90 or so....never gave it a thought....rong lug nutz..... should have just gone ahead and beveled the aluminum and had over with it, but instead bought the right nutz did get them in Carlisle though....so not too awful evil....

:bonkers::goodnight:

What kind of trailer ? For a light/medium duty trailer I would just elongate the holes 1/8" and let the hub center the rim.... ....... wrong ?????

I feel bad for the guy too but it's his own fault for not making sure the rim fits. The offset (backspacing) was likely wrong too.....