The VetteMOD project

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
How would you guys feel about doing an online design project for a popular mod? Something we can all participate in and hopefully some of us can use it on their car.

An example would be something like a design of some better rack & pinion system, or at least a better set of mounting brackets/a better mounting system than what's available right now.

Let's hear it :search::idea::thumbs:

Great idea!

Maybe the output of that project would be drawings that someone could take to a fabricator and have made. The drawings could be posted here for future reference.

Great idea!

Maybe the output of that project would be drawings that someone could take to a fabricator and have made. The drawings could be posted here for future reference.

That is a great idea.....

How about a design for a spreader bar that will work in a BBvette with a stock fan? I'll guess that some have tried, but I don't think anyone succeeded.

That is a great idea.....

How about a design for a spreader bar that will work in a BBvette with a stock fan? I'll guess that some have tried, but I don't think anyone succeeded.

You can do it. It would just be the size of a string is all.:eek:

Project candidate

One potential project that might be of value to some is a cool air box that bolts to the radiator core support frame so it picks up air from the area above the radiator but below the core support top frame member. That area seems to be more than adequate and could be implemented without cutting the top of the core support. TT and I have already talked about the need and I bet 84rzv500r could use one also. It would be nice if we could find room for an integral air filter. Anyone with a front Throttle Body probably needs something like this.

Just a thought for consideration

MVC-796F.JPG

Bullshark

How about something like the Calloway C-5 cold air induction?

One potential project that might be of value to some is a cool air box that bolts to the radiator core support frame so it picks up air from the area above the radiator but below the core support top frame member. That area seems to be more than adequate and could be implemented without cutting the top of the core support. TT and I have already talked about the need and I bet 84rzv500r could use one also. It would be nice if we could find room for an integral air filter. Anyone with a front Throttle Body probably needs something like this.

Just a thought for consideration

MVC-796F.JPG

Bullshark

I located my air intake from in front of the radiator down near the spoiler intake, works great.:thumbs:

DSCN3292.jpg

Dean, did you have to cut the core support to route the intake plumbing? I was looking at my configuration and there looks to be very little room between the hood and the support.

Bullshark

We have one vote for a BB spreader bar w/stock fan and one vote for a cold air box. Let's try to generate some more ideas (although we never said there was a quota:lol:).

How would you guys feel about doing an online design project for a popular mod? Something we can all participate in and hopefully some of us can use it on their car.

An example would be something like a design of some better rack & pinion system, or at least a better set of mounting brackets/a better mounting system than what's available right now.

Let's hear it :search::idea::thumbs:

I like the rack idea...I'm planning to go R&P, but from what I have heard about the Steeroids and Rack Attack brackets I don't see any point in buying a kit.

How about a straight rear axle that is a bolt-in or very little welding is needed? That would be more fore the drag racers.

There's no such thing as very little welding required. The kit that comes closest to bolt in is the one that DJ Dep posted about, hey Dep...share that info again will ya? :D

The kit I found was strictly weld-in. No bolt-in at all. As far as I know, there is no bolt-in unit for a solid rear axle.

Dean, did you have to cut the core support to route the intake plumbing? I was looking at my configuration and there looks to be very little room between the hood and the support.

Bullshark

Yes i notched the upper rad support and welded a curved metal strip for support. The stainless tube is flattened oval to give the hood clearance when open, the lower part is rounded to accept the cone air filter.

We have one vote for a BB spreader bar w/stock fan and one vote for a cold air box. Let's try to generate some more ideas (although we never said there was a quota:lol:).

I vote for a rack and pinion conversion, manual and/or power assisted. Early 90's GrandAm and Cavalliers were offered with manual racks, these racks are $200-$240 remanufactured, the power steering racks are $140-$280 (prices vary with core charge and shipping)

Unfortunately I won't be able to start this project any time soon but when I do I'll take all the dimensions and provide a drawing for the support cradle. This conversion should be doable for around $400.

This is something I've been working on:

521.jpg

There has got to be a better way to do a Jeep box than what I have seen so far. I am still modeling the box but here is a side view showing the mounting holes in relation to the stock Vettes.

79612.jpg

I think Corvette Steering moves the box up to avoid notching the frame.

24901331927.jpg

Seems like raising the box that high will put the steering wheel down on your lap. Any input will be appreciated.

By the way, something else I have been thinking about is an aluminum differential cover. It would save some weight and look nice. I've been thinking about putting a later model batwing in mine but that will require welding. A cover would be a bolt on.

I think Corvette Steering moves the box up to avoid notching the frame.

Seems like raising the box that high will put the steering wheel down on your lap. Any input will be appreciated.

Because of a dramatic difference in height, the Jeep box cannot be installed in a C3 AND have the input aligned with the steering column unless you raise the column (and lower the other end into your lap). This means you have to rotate it and this raises the pitman arm. The good news is that raising the pitman arm will improve bumpsteer (idler arm has to be rotated also).

SteeringGears.jpg

JeepVetteCompare1.jpg