Are CV Axles Splined?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Is the rod between the two CV joints on a C5/6 axle splined on both ends? So you could shorten a C5/6 axle by replacing the rod with a shorter one.

They have female splines on the diff side and outside splines on the wheel hub side. It would be possible to shorten the wheel side, that's the long side with the outside splines. The CV itself is close to the diff with the female shaft.

The wheel hub side has a CV joint too with a female inside, the driveshaft goes in there

C5Drivetrain.jpg

Is the rod between the two CV joints on a C5/6 axle splined on both ends? So you could shorten a C5/6 axle by replacing the rod with a shorter one.

Why?? you want dish wheels...??? don't that upset the suspension??

I don't unnersand....

:surrender:

I didn't really ask this question right. If you look at Mark's picture above you will see that there are boots on the inside of the CV joints. That makes me believe that the shaft (small diameter shaft that connects the two joints) is splined and the telescoping action required is in that part.

That means that, if you recruit the splines on the shaft, you could shorten the entire shaft and use it in other cars that have a shorter hub to hub width than a C5.

I didn't really ask this question right. If you look at Mark's picture above you will see that there are boots on the inside of the CV joints. That makes me believe that the shaft (small diameter shaft that connects the two joints) is splined and the telescoping action required is in that part.

That means that, if you recruit the splines on the shaft, you could shorten the entire shaft and use it in other cars that have a shorter hub to hub width than a C5.

OK, WHAT other cars....brain pickin' time.....:hissyfit::lol:

sounds like a project of some interest....

:stirpot:

I'm just kinda thinking out loud here but, it might be possible to use C5 suspension components in a full frame car like a C1-3 or an early Mopar or who knows. The hitch is that it would probably be impossible to use U-joint style slip axles with the C5 arms and coilovers. I think you need the smaller CV axles. So the challenge is, how can you make the CV axles shorter?

The rod between the CV joints is solid with splines on each end. I suspect that the length could be altered with some cut/splice/welding, and then a heat treat back to the original temper, (or lack thereof). Also note the rod does not move in the splines, it's retained by a snap ring and the CV joint provides the flex and extension.

234990f67b15dbf.jpg

That's what I was trying to make clear. You can easily remove the shaft from the joint, usually they have a froove with a wire on the end of the splines, a good whack with a hammer and the 2 will come apart. If you remove the dark center shaft you can have it cut and resplined to shorten the whole thing. The cut off splined end would be your template for where and how deep the wire retainer groove would be.

Probably easier to buy custom ones.