Locked up my brakes today!

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
This might not sound like great news to the rest of you, but after suffering with spongy brakes pretty much since I got the car, this was a stinking big deal.

Some of you may remember that I converted to hydroboost and have had intermittent problems with both the hydroboost self applying and the brakes erratically going spongy.

The solutions:

Hydroboost - I have pics on the digital camera but the download cable is broken again. Turns out that the low pressure return hose barb fitting had a very small ID hole on the inside, Less than 1/16 inch. From the outside, it looked like a normal ID for a 3/8 inch hose barb. Drilled the inside of the fitting to the same ID as the outside part. Problem solved.

Spongy brakes - Don't recall where I read this, but someone was talking about similar problems with old, stainless braided flex brake lines. Mine were old enough that the fittings were showing noticeable corrosion. Went out and got a new set from Muskegon Brake. Installed and bled the back set today. Problem solved. I can now lock up the wheels at any speed, any time I want. I can even just slow down if I choose :amused:

The last remaining problem with the brakes is that they are not completely returning all the way up. It isn't just the adjustment for the brake light either, I find that the car will coast to a stop if I don't put light pressure on the inside of the brake pedal with my other foot. It then will maintain speed. I've noted this problem all along so it isn't related to the other problems (though I did hope that they'd go away when I solved the other problems). I'm guessing that it is either the bushing on the pivot shaft for the brake pedal, the return spring or both. I'm going to try spraying some lubricant on the pivot to see if it improves. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'm simply going to have to remove the pedal assembly and replace the bushing and spring.

Any better ideas?

With engine running you should have some 2" deflection at the pedal before the brakes engage....roughly....if much less, you need to shorten the input rod effective to the pedal, I suspect the booster is not retracting all the way??

pull the pin and see what happens to the clevis....maybe too short??

not sure, but I know my brakes are ok within the radius of the stock pedals AT THAT POINT in the lever...

below that, my car is much further altered....

:nuts: