what is the next step?????????????

kwplot34

Heart Attack
After i finish sanding the primer to level the body (i am using a guide coat) and filling any imperfections and prime those spots and sand them,what do i do next???
Do i need to shoot a very reduced coat of primer over the whole car or am i done with this step.
My thinking was 2-3 coats of the 2k primer reduced to go on wet and smooth and wet sand if i need to,or is this not needed.
Or am i ready for color???? need some direction to go here guy's.

Thanks for all the help :thumbs:

You can paint over the surfacer as long as there are no bare spots and as long as you finish with a high enough grit sandpaper 400-600 is recommended. If I were you, I'd reduce some epoxy primer till it's thin as paint, then give the car a nice thin coat of this before you paint. If you have my experience, you will likely see all the imperfections after you spray a coat of dark primer, and will want to block the entire car again.

Don't finish with less than 400 before you paint, if you want to save time taking out all of the 150-120 scratches, shoot a thinner coat of primer to save time sanding. But you'll still need to go over the 2nd primer with a higher grit if you blocked the car with less than 400.

You can paint over the surfacer as long as there are no bare spots and as long as you finish with a high enough grit sandpaper 400-600 is recommended. If I were you, I'd reduce some epoxy primer till it's thin as paint, then give the car a nice thin coat of this before you paint. If you have my experience, you will likely see all the imperfections after you spray a coat of dark primer, and will want to block the entire car again.

Don't finish with less than 400 before you paint, if you want to save time taking out all of the 150-120 scratches, shoot a thinner coat of primer to save time sanding. But you'll still need to go over the 2nd primer with a higher grit if you blocked the car with less than 400.

OK thats what i was thinking i should do,my plan is to do like you said,thin the primer down real thin and put probably 2 coats on the car and wet sand with 400,and with any luck what so ever shoot paint after that, I almost finished sanding the car today just a few small spots left :skeptic:

...I almost finished sanding the car today...

Famous last words.

Thin the epoxy out a lot. PPG calls for 4:2:1 primer:catalyst:reducer for use as a sealer. After playing with it, I thinned it out 2:1:2. Four times as much reducer as recommended.

...I almost finished sanding the car today...

Famous last words.

Thin the epoxy out a lot. PPG calls for 4:2:1 primer:catalyst:reducer for use as a sealer. After playing with it, I thinned it out 2:1:2. Four times as much reducer as recommended.

Thank you for the info :thumbs:

yea every time i walk around the car i keep finding areas that need more work :push: im going to quite walking around it,or at least keep my hands in my pockets.

Black is going to magnify all imperfections.

You can shoot basecoat over primer/surfacer that was sanded with 400-600 grit sandpaper. If you have some of that epoxy primer left you can shoot that (reduced so it's a sealer) over the surfacer - it will improve the surface.

The epoxy you used is grey ? See if that primer can be tinted, or, if you only have a qt left mix it with another qt of the same product in black (if they offer different colors) - the base might not cover too good if you shoot it over light grey.

Do not sand the epoxy. Clean the car, mask it, clean again, degrease, spray epoxy sealer, wait 1-2 hrs (depending on tech data sheet and temperature), spray base coat, wait, spray clear... drink beer....

Black is going to magnify all imperfections.

You can shoot basecoat over primer/surfacer that was sanded with 400-600 grit sandpaper. If you have some of that epoxy primer left you can shoot that (reduced so it's a sealer) over the surfacer - it will improve the surface.

The epoxy you used is grey ? See if that primer can be tinted, or, if you only have a qt left mix it with another qt of the same product in black (if they offer different colors) - the base might not cover too good if you shoot it over light grey.

Do not sand the epoxy. Clean the car, mask it, clean again, degrease, spray epoxy sealer, wait 1-2 hrs (depending on tech data sheet and temperature), spray base coat, wait, spray clear... drink beer....

Ahh now i like this one,the Epoxy that i have is black,i shot it on the car,then the primer/filler,and so i can shoot epoxy over all this and base,and clear in one day,i like this.

Ahh now i like this one,the Epoxy that i have is black,i shot it on the car,then the primer/filler,and so i can shoot epoxy over all this and base,and clear in one day,i like this.

reduce the epoxy so it becomes a sealer, read the tech info sheet (these are available online)...

Per my tech sheet the sealer that I bought ('shopline') can be topcoated after 15minutes at 70F..... I waited 30 minutes just to be safe....

Thank you Karsten,this is the kinda stuff i was looking for,and i have the tech sheet for my epoxy and it says the same thing.

Thanks Guy's :D