Ephinay.....my kids will never know

Jsup

My kids will never know the pleasure of analog recording. I was listening to CDs in the car, and Led Zeppelin came on. Just didn't have the nuance, the realism of analog recordings.

I don't care what anyone says, there's nothing like good vinyl or tape to memorialize and reproduce sounds.

Digital just blows....it's harsh, undefined, compressed. If any of you guys play guitar you'll know what I mean by compressed. Ya know, one of these:
562431.jpg

IDK, I'm just glad I got to experience analog while I could.

I used to go to live concerts to see my favorite bands - BEFORE they started doing the stadium style format. In the smaller concert halls you could appreciate the shape of the building and how it contributed to the acoustics, nowadays that is all lost in favor of big profits at the stadiums. The last concert I really enjoyed was at the Manhattan Academy of Music, just months before it was torn down. It was a beautiful old concert hall with the classic sea shell shape that made the music sound so good....

Vinyl recordings and tube powered amplifiers produced a warm full quality sound. Solid state components seemed to take some of the warmth out of the reproductions. I was never a big fan of tapes due to the hiss, even with Dolby noise reduction. MP3 is cool for the sheer volume and convenience of the format but it does lack the depth of the older recording technology.

I used to go to live concerts to see my favorite bands - BEFORE they started doing the stadium style format. In the smaller concert halls you could appreciate the shape of the building and how it contributed to the acoustics, nowadays that is all lost in favor of big profits at the stadiums. The last concert I really enjoyed was at the Manhattan Academy of Music, just months before it was torn down. It was a beautiful old concert hall with the classic sea shell shape that made the music sound so good....

Vinyl recordings and tube powered amplifiers produced a warm full quality sound. Solid state components seemed to take some of the warmth out of the reproductions. I was never a big fan of tapes due to the hiss, even with Dolby noise reduction. MP3 is cool for the sheer volume and convenience of the format but it does lack the depth of the older recording technology.

A good taped recording on the right equipment and a good piece of vinyl don't have much hiss and background noise. It's mostly in high volume recordings on small tape. Every hear a one inch reel to reel recording? Unbelievable.

I still have a Dyna Stomp! That's a new one in your picture, no LED indicator in the originals.

Wow old farts on vinyl. I still have over 100 LP's from the early '70's. You haven't heard anything until you've heard Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" or Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the center of the earth" on vinyl. Nothing is lost from the master. When I need a fix I fire up the Pioneer PL-530 turn-table with my Audio-Technia TS-14 stylus tracking at 1/2 gram. Pumped thru my Pioneer SX1250...200 watts rms per channel. The old Speaker lab S-7's still pump out the tunes just fine after 34 years. Amazing.

I still have a Dyna Stomp! That's a new one in your picture, no LED indicator in the originals.

Here's my favorite pedal ever. Playing my G&L Tele through this into a Fender Twin.....THAT is the right sound.

f81f69ef98e12afe7fa9f9961e28e1d7.jpg

Yup can't beat vinyl....hisssssssssssss pop, hhhhhhhhiissssssssssspop.....

click schratch,,,,click klik click pop whhhoooooooooosh.....

Jsup, did you and me exchange notes about old stereo....it was fine in it's day, but a decent recording today is SO much better on CD it's pathetic....

I may have mentioned my BIL who was maybe 14 years older than me, like my sis, anyway he was head of recorded sound and then music division of Library of Congress......got to play with a lot of fancy wheel to wheel decks in the day....all through the 60-early 70's....Old Ampex 350, AG440, Ampeg, CD's just came out when he was suffering some lung disease and died, at least he got a chance to hear some really fine stuff then.....

I had duplicated almost all my record collection onto CD's and so sold the last of them off last summer, and same with the two turn tables....a Thorens TD124 and a Ariston Icon.....both of which had Ortofon, or Shure, or Pickering in there....ellipical stylus...

You want dynamic range like the full Washington National Cathedral organ can produce, you really need better than the finest CD's can do, and that is more by about 20 db SNR than the finest old 1" Ampex could do.....even at 15 & 30 ips.....

My stereo is ages old, but it's all McIntosh I have 4 12" woofers per channel, two ML2c's stacked per channel presenting 4 ohm load to a Mc2002 amp and a C31v remote controlled preamp....I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the power amp....all the rest runs off a 1 kw isolation transformer and surge protector after that, on another circuit....same thing again for the computers....lightening protection :flash:

So with a total of 8 12" woofers, I can go down to the lowest fundamental on Thus Spoke Zarathustra, the space oddysey theme from years ago...opening note.....so lo it goes under your shoes.....

I don't need a sub woofer.....physics don't lie, you want to move air like a Cathedral pipe organ, you gotta have a SPEAKER, not some 10" floppy POS in a plastic box...

the old JBL Ranger Paragon, and the Altec Voice of the Theater are the old tyme standards before McIntosh came out with speakers, which work sort of like the old Ed Vulture Acoustic Research priincipal of acoustic suspension....but Mc did it right.....at 150 lbs/speaker.....300 lbs per stacked column for ME.....

I love over there, these kids in OT, want to talke stereo and mention all this car crap and these tinney box sound from the imports......ONE WORD thunderbird.....McINtosh......

:devil:

I think we traded some comments on that. Not all vinyl has the hissss pop.

I do agree with you on speakers, however. I am partial to B&W and have the 604s in my media room. Legendary speakers, acoustically transparent. Too may speakers today color sound to the point where it is unrecognizable.

We live in a "good enough" society where we will settle for just about anything, and I think your typical CD and especially MP3 is just that.

Some interesting writing on the theory of "good enough" society.
http://nextstep.com/index.php/commentary/opinion-column/59-goodenough

I do agree with you on speakers, however. I am partial to B&W and have the 604s in my media room. Legendary speakers, acoustically transparent. Too may speakers today color sound to the point where it is unrecognizable.

We live in a "good enough" society where we will settle for just about anything, and I think your typical CD and especially MP3 is just that.

I dunno man, the stereo is just sound for the TV these daze, wife listens more than me anymore....and that's maybe twice in the last YEAR.....

I used to be into all that music stuff, my favorite being Jazz/Blues from the daze, then classical, never into rock, really Beatles, then Hendrix, used to have all 13? albums Hendrix recorded....all original release Reprise was the primary label......

but combined with drag strips and shooting my hearing has taken a loss....

today I can't hear shit much anymore, and so maybe too many magnums, ear piece or not....

:goodnight:

I dunno man, the stereo is just sound for the TV these daze, wife listens more than me anymore....and that's maybe twice in the last YEAR.....

I used to be into all that music stuff, my favorite being Jazz/Blues from the daze, then classical, never into rock, really Beatles, then Hendrix, used to have all 13? albums Hendrix recorded....all original release Reprise was the primary label......

today I can't hear shit much anymore, and so maybe too many magnums, ear piece or not....

Excellent point. You don't need all that crap any more. Check your PMs for my address, just send it up here. I'll be glad to take all that useless shit off your hands, and I won't even charge a fee. I'm a giver.

Here's my favorite pedal ever. Playing my G&L Tele through this into a Fender Twin.....THAT is the right sound.

f81f69ef98e12afe7fa9f9961e28e1d7.jpg

I have a Tube Screamer, two modded DS-1's, a modded CS-3, a DigiTech envelope filter, Maestro Wah/Vol, ADA flanger all fed into a MXR stereo chorus. I used to feed that into 2 Acoustic 160 tube heads with Marshall cabinets (spread apart). It was freaking LOUD!

That was back in the day when I played in bands and worked in the music business. I still have all the gear with about 15 guitars (the newest is a 94 D-35).

Hey, BB what do you know about a Telecaster Elite? I have one, a 1983, don't know what to do with it. I bought it new. I mean, it's a nice guitar, and if o I get rid of it I can probably not replace it. They only made them for 2 years after CBS sold back to Fender.

Excellent point. You don't need all that crap any more. Check your PMs for my address, just send it up here. I'll be glad to take all that useless shit off your hands, and I won't even charge a fee. I'm a giver.

:3rd: notice the number, it's a consolation prize, you did NOT win....

got 4 grand?? plus shipping?? I pack it all up and send it....been trying to sell it, seriously, neither of my kids care, and wife and I don't either....

gimme money honey.....

:bump::nuts:

I sort of remember those. They had active electronics?

I don't know much about them. As I recall, they were Fenders answer to Music Man Sabre's. I had a Sabre II and it was an incredible sounding guitar but just an awful instrument to play. Same time as the Gibson RD Artist, great sounding guitar but an awful guitar to play.

I don't know much about them. As I recall, they were Fenders answer to Music Man Sabre's. I had a Sabre II and it was an incredible sounding guitar but just an awful instrument to play. Same time as the Gibson RD Artist, great sounding guitar but an awful guitar to play.

It does have active electronics and is the answer to the Les Paul as I understand it.

The action is pretty good, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I do LOVE my G&L though. I'm up in the air about it.

Back in the late 50's early 60's I used to build all sorts of band gear, echo chamber, tape loop repeaters, amps, speaker boxes.....control heads....wiring,...

for that matter, some of my ham radio buds and I used to talk to US Senator Barry Goldwater on ham radio...he was a 'local' though so no QSL....

:devil:

I remember when the PACKARD dealer closed down....we took a neon PACKARD in cursive writing....and hung it from one of Joe's antenna lines....at night that sign would light up like crazy with the Morse Code....but it did cut his range a goodly bit....

see my site for yet another buddy geek's collection of electronic, communications gear.....called my Buddy's place, folder....

:thumbs:

then I remember the 'tremulo'? sp?....pedals, we called them WAWA pedals....

I remember sometime around '60 or so, Pat Flynn the glue sniffer got to strip dancing with some gal at a HS dance.....the VP ROZ we called him.....Roy O. Zimmerman.......shut it down.....

Ned Smith could duplicate his handwriting just fine....ROZ was his shorhand, so we got printed forms for class excuses and he would sign them ROZ with any kind of 'official' sounding excuse, we would cut class and fuck off in the audio visual aids booth over the gym...for plays/stage stuffs it filled in.... so it was a hide out for us miscreants who hated english class....

:devil: we of course had to get in troubles and so were had been legit issued keys to the projection booth, but it turns out that key had ONE of the proper pin arrangements of the MASTER KEY TO THE WHOLE DAMN SCHOOL.....so I found out from the rest of the guys that booth key fit/opened a OUTSIDE door to the school....but most rooms were locked....

SO, me and Bill, decided to do something curious....get a blank key from the hardware store, and follow the logic....take a lock apart and make our own MASTER TO THE WHOLE FREEKING SCHOOL.....

we got in deeeeeeeeeepppppp shit over THAT one........

don't ask.......

:lol:

It does have active electronics and is the answer to the Les Paul as I understand it.

The action is pretty good, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I do LOVE my G&L though. I'm up in the air about it.

Betcha you can't name Les Paul's female singer/wife without a google....

it's Mary Ford......

broad could sing....

:bounce:

I was never a big fan of Tele's because of the narrow string spacing at the nut. I have two of them but with strat necks and 3 pickup "Nashville" setups. Your Tele is probably worth some money, sounds like a cool setup. I've always liked the sound of a Tele Custom with humbuckers.

I was never a big fan of Tele's because of the narrow string spacing at the nut. I have two of them but with strat necks and 3 pickup "Nashville" setups. Your Tele is probably worth some money, sounds like a cool setup. I've always liked the sound of a Tele Custom with humbuckers.

I can't find crap about the value. If I knew, I would know that I could trade it up for something else or keep it.