Shocks ???

vette427sbc

I've been trying to finish a few little projects on my car lately, mostly fine tuning suspension for the spring. My friend got an unlimited friends and family track pass for the new road course in southern NJ :yahoo: so I want to try to take advantage of that this summer.
Anyway, at the ride height my car is at, it seems like I really don't have much shock travel in the front, maybe 1.5-2 inches. Should I be worried about this? Is having the shock compressed that much hurting the performance or life?
I have the mono spring setup with the bilsteins.
Opinions? Ideas?

If the shock bottoms out you can easily damage it. You'll need to install a bump stop that keeps the shock from collapsing. Also, if you have the car lowered significantly you have to check if the shock body won't hit side of the hole in the frame, the solution for that is to cut it out larger on the outboard side. An easy way to check shock travel is by putting a zip tie around the shaft, move the tie against the body and drive the car. The tie will move up the shaft, indicating max travel.

If the shock bottoms out you can easily damage it. You'll need to install a bump stop that keeps the shock from collapsing. Also, if you have the car lowered significantly you have to check if the shock body won't hit side of the hole in the frame, the solution for that is to cut it out larger on the outboard side. An easy way to check shock travel is by putting a zip tie around the shaft, move the tie against the body and drive the car. The tie will move up the shaft, indicating max travel.

THERE you go, much easier and cleaner than MY olde tyme idea of some black grease.....

course back in teh daze of the Romans, tie wraps were not a common item in every store.....

:shocking::drink:

Not sure about the monospring but with the stock lower A-arms you can lower the lower mounting position of the shock - thick washers between shock and A-arm and longer bolts - done...

Not sure about the monospring but with the stock lower A-arms you can lower the lower mounting position of the shock - thick washers between shock and A-arm and longer bolts - done...

I would tend to do the same by playing with the upper mount/bushings, as extending the shocks down much more than a inch or so seems to cost a good bit of ground clearance.....:idea::beer:

That's how I did it too. I used some thick wall hollow tubing cut to about 3/4" long on a lathe and installed some studs in the a-arms.

As you can see, it works fine with the monoleaf & VBP lower a-arms without any ground clearance issues.

Yeah I know, I need new tires.
864973f6b1dcb05.jpg

Thanks guys
Ill try the ziptie first just to see how close I do get, and will probably end up doing what White76 did with the tubing.
Im watching it snow now, so I guess I wont be able to take the car out for a few days. I might not even be able to test out my new R&P setup for a long while :suicide:

That's how I did it too. I used some thick wall hollow tubing cut to about 3/4" long on a lathe and installed some studs in the a-arms.

As you can see, it works fine with the monoleaf & VBP lower a-arms without any ground clearance issues.

Yeah I know, I need new tires.
864973f6b1dcb05.jpg

We have all had skidmores at one time or another....