Rusty Tools

vette

How do people protect your tools in the garage from rusting? Is there something that can added to the tool boxes? My garage is not always heated and I'm starting to see rust.:sweat:

Thanks,
Danny

wd40, or just wipe them down after USE.....I just dip the ends in gasoline to get the heavy crud off, wipe the rest leaving a film of grease/solvent on them....

then the get tossed in the box, if chrome, the heavy stuff sits open on the bottom shelves...

:eek:

I always put light machine oil in the foam inserts that the tools sit in (also with taps & dies) An occasional misting with WD40 for wrenches. Ratcheting wrenches I dip in light machine oil frequently (the ratcheting end) after cleaning.

I always put light machine oil in the foam inserts that the tools sit in (also with taps & dies) An occasional misting with WD40 for wrenches. Ratcheting wrenches I dip in light machine oil frequently (the ratcheting end) after cleaning.

Marck, in all my years, about the most common everyday thing I ever used a box ratchet for was viscous fans....other than that, damn seldom....probably the most unused set in the drawers....looked like a good idea at the time, but only the 1/2-9/16 is the one I use....but the rest are unique in that they have NASA stamped on them...

:amazed:

I use them all the time, a normal open end or box end wrench is a pita compared to how easy the ratcheting ones work.

outboard fuel, lawn-mower fuel anything that has oil added to the fuel, just wash your tools chuck-em in the tool box, the petrol evaporates and leaves a nice light film of oil all over them, it also penetrates very well to.

I use them all the time, a normal open end or box end wrench is a pita compared to how easy the ratcheting ones work.
Me too, I reckon they're great and use them where ever I can!

Answering the original question, I wipe my tools down and then might give them a light wipe over with WD40 - my toolbox lives inside, so they should be ok anyway.

I don't remember ever having a problem with my tools collecting rust,and it does get pretty darn humid around here in the summer, maybe i use them to much so they never get a chance.

I think it may help what quality the tools are too. I've pretty much only got Snapon stuff and the only real time I've seen Snapon rust is if the chrome has been ground off...

Thanks, Just starting to set up a shop and I am thinking ahead thats all.

Danny
Professional or private shop? Personally, I'd be looking for something that gives a life time warranty. Snapon's always been good at repairing or replacing my tools but I'd imagine there's cheaper tools out there with the same sort of warranty...

Danny
Professional or private shop? Personally, I'd be looking for something that gives a life time warranty. Snapon's always been good at repairing or replacing my tools but I'd imagine there's cheaper tools out there with the same sort of warranty...

Only problem with Snapon is that they tend to walk. :goodevil:
Ratchets have been rebuilt on the spot for free at least 50 times over the years. Very good value on some items.

I agree with TT, This is the way to go. The only wrenches I have seen rust is the older Craftsman wrenches from years ago. Clean them up with WD40 after use to minimize the rust.

Danny

Private. I bought my 1975 vet new when I was 23 and then got married at 32. I was blessed with two wonderful children who are now 21 and 18. Now that I got extra time, I want to get back to what I loved to do. Work on cars. So, my son and I are planning a total restore on the car starting this spring. I must admit that been a mold and tool maker for 35 years has help me know that only good quality tools will do, I do own :chinese: tools for those jobs that I will need to use once or twice. I spent the last year completely rebuilding the garage with insulated walls, drop ceiling, and plenty of light. I put a new cement floor down and then painted it with u-coat gray paint with red, black and gray flicks. I wish I new how to post pic so I could show how it came out, but trust me, the vet looks real nice sitting in her new surrounding. I never left my tools out in a non control area before so I was just wondering. So thanks for all the replies.

Danny,
PS: Can someone email me on how to post pictures.:confused:

Danny

Private. I bought my 1975 vet new when I was 23 and then got married at 32. I was blessed with two wonderful children who are now 21 and 18. Now that I got extra time, I want to get back to what I loved to do. Work on cars. So, my son and I are planning a total restore on the car starting this spring. I must admit that been a mold and tool maker for 35 years has help me know that only good quality tools will do, I do own :chinese: tools for those jobs that I will need to use once or twice. I spent the last year completely rebuilding the garage with insulated walls, drop ceiling, and plenty of light. I put a new cement floor down and then painted it with u-coat gray paint with red, black and gray flicks. I wish I new how to post pic so I could show how it came out, but trust me, the vet looks real nice sitting in her new surrounding. I never left my tools out in a non control area before so I was just wondering. So thanks for all the replies.

Danny,
PS: Can someone email me on how to post pictures.:confused:

thum_4674974b94386e32.jpg Yea, I posted a pic! Thanks TT:drink:

Last edited:

Good looking floor, until you drop a small black, red or grey thing :lol:

I was offered a tool maker's apprenticeship when I was 16, I sometimes regret not taking it. What sort of stuff have you made over the years?

:thumbs: I dentical comment, except with your irregular peppled look you can have some scrapes and scars and not have them look like Fido's ass quite so badly....plus repairs are much more forgiving...

:bounce:

Good looking floor, until you drop a small black, red or grey thing :lol:

I was offered a tool maker's apprenticeship when I was 16, I sometimes regret not taking it. What sort of stuff have you made over the years?

I make prototype molds for Becton Dickinson a medical firm in NJ. As far as the floor goes, yes I do have a hard time finding things,sometime as big as a car jack.:rofl: Here is a pic of floor before I started. I had my two helpers out here to help me determine what has to be done.

thum_4674974e7ecd262d.jpg