Wireless Router Question

Dirtbuster1

I want to buy a new wireless router. Everytime I open a thread with alot of pictures, it will lock up & knock me off the internet. I have to unplug the router to get back on the internet. I currently have a Netgear WPN824.

What is everybody else using, and what do I need to be looking for?

I have a netgear 802.11 G 108mps 2.4GHz. About 2-3 years old. I am sure there are better models today. It works great. Easy to manage. I think that the signal is good for a couple hundred feet. My neighbors tell me they can see my signal 600-700 ft away. But they can't get in due to the encription key.

Only problem is the wireless phone system also operates at the same frequency. When someone pics up the phone, the wireless connection is sometimes interupted. New phone system will have a different frequency....I hope.

Verizon Fios. Just got it today and wow! Flying between the sites.

Danny

Is this for a Laptop, or for a home Network?

You can never have enough tools!:waxer:

Yes. I am runnig 3 computers and 2 laptops. I download at 20 mg verses 3mg when I was using verizon DSL. It also replaced linksys wirwless-g I had. You can use it for 1 computer or many.

Danny

I have a Linksys wireless access router 2.4 gig, with 4 port switch....

it can handle 4 'landlines/computers'...then wifey poo can do her laptop like now over the two wireless antennas.....this system works fine, but took some software/driver download off the net in order to make it work....

I been on the net since '95 and for the 'simplicity' there are great strides, but when I have to go into shit I not touched in years....I have to really go nutz...

and to think I used to fix IBM desk top computers for my ex, back when they were known as 'intelligent terminals'....

:bonkers::goodnight:

Same here, old Linksys WRT54G with remote antennas (for going thru concrete walls), used with 3 wired boxes and 2 wireless laptops, 1 wired network printer, and 1 iPod Touch.

Can be hacked with other firmware and bigger antannas used, problem free for at least 6 years. Never had to reboot.
Most of these wireless routers can handle up to 256 computers, so that's not a concern.

Don't be confused by the Mb and MB game.

Download speeds are measured in mega bits

File sizes are measured in mega bytes.

The fastest widely available today is the Verizon fios from 10 to 50 Mb/sec.

I'm happy with 3, couldn't imagine 50.

Another tidbit concerning the Firefox thread a while back.

If you're using Firefox to download things, it always reports the speed wrong. First of all, it reports the speed as data download/time elapsed (so its never actually your current download speed that is displayed). But on top of that, it starts downloading as soon as the download dialog popups (before you even click the save button), but doesn't start "counting" elapsed time until after you've clicked the save button.

Go download a big file (like a linux iso) let it sit at the download dialog for a minute or so, then finally click the "save" button...

Another vote for Linksys. No troubles at all. Very reliable, and not much $$.

I never liked the NetGear stuff. It always changed my log-on/off so I had an extra step or two to go thru.
LinkSys for me- or some other generic stuff that doesn't add any software or need any drivers.

Ok thanks for the info! What speed should I be looking at? I think I have 100MPS, I'm looking at 300 MPS. My wireless speed on the laptop is only averaging around 54MPS. I'm tired of this thing locking up.

Thanks

Get the fastest you can afford. I think you're only going to get 100 anyway. I don't know if anything faster is supported in "consumer" level stuff.

As much as I travel, I try to do the hard wire LAN everyplace I can. The wireless just won't get it done everyplace. Even at home, I've run LAN cables all over the house and just a common 4 port router. I'm lookng at getting an 8 port so I can run every room and the kitchen too. I make up cables and install wall sockets. same for the TV and phone too.

You have to work backwards from the laptop and it is probably 802.11b/g which is 54 max (you will never get that because of overhead), so no matter what the router/service puts out, you're stuck.

Next you can do what Tim does with a 100/1000 ethernet port hard wired.

In all reality, if you are just bursting downloads like webpages, then don't sweat it. If you are transferring or downloading large files or complete movies then it can make a big diff. With the newer dual and quad machines, you can always do the stuff you are supposed to be doing while it downloads. :yahoo:

The newer 802.11n (300) hasn't matured enough yet and is still touchy.

As always the new stuff can be too pricey for the return.

I want to buy a new wireless router. Everytime I open a thread with alot of pictures, it will lock up & knock me off the internet. I have to unplug the router to get back on the internet. I currently have a Netgear WPN824.

What is everybody else using, and what do I need to be looking for?

It can also be your computer too. what type are you running?

Get the fastest you can afford. I think you're only going to get 100 anyway. I don't know if anything faster is supported in "consumer" level stuff.

As much as I travel, I try to do the hard wire LAN everyplace I can. The wireless just won't get it done everyplace. Even at home, I've run LAN cables all over the house and just a common 4 port router. I'm lookng at getting an 8 port so I can run every room and the kitchen too. I make up cables and install wall sockets. same for the TV and phone too.

Where have you seen an 8 port router? I have 16 (yes, 16) cat 5 drops in my house and garage. I have to use a 4 port router w/ wireless and a 4 port switch to barely get buy. :crutches:

I am running 2 Dell Laptops, 1 Toshiba laptop & 1 Gateway desktop. Most of the crashes are assocaited with my Toshiba laptop. When I open a large thread with lots of pics, crash! It seems that I am using up all the bandwith when that happens. Plug/unplug the router, & back on line. Usually at least 1 crash every 2 days. When it crashes, it takes out even the hard wired desktop. So I suspect it has to be router related, I think!

I am running 2 Dell Laptops, 1 Toshiba laptop & 1 Gateway desktop. Most of the crashes are assocaited with my Toshiba laptop. When I open a large thread with lots of pics, crash! It seems that I am using up all the bandwith when that happens. Plug/unplug the router, & back on line. Usually at least 1 crash every 2 days. When it crashes, it takes out even the hard wired desktop. So I suspect it has to be router related, I think!

I made a copy of this and I am going over to our computer guy at work to see what he said. He is charge of our systems here.

Danny

You can keep stacking switches or go to an 8/16 port switch or an 8 port router.
Here are some 8 port routers.

http://www.nextag.co.uk/8-port-router-wireless/zzukzB1z0--search-html

Some 16 switches

http://www.google.com/products/cata..._catalog_result&resnum=3&ct=result#ps-sellers

Cisco usually is best, but pricey.

So then I assume a router and a switch are the same as far as security and through-put are concerned?

Simple answer no.

You can do a lot of mixing and matching etc, but simply a router gives your isp 1 address and protects you with a firewall and other features etc between a wan (internet) and your local network.
A switch usually just connects you inside your own network.
You can get by with a bigger switch probably.