Powder coating half shafts

zz71s

I am thinking about powder coating my half shafts.
Can you powder coat them still assembled?
The u joints are not greasable I do not want to bake out the little grease thats in there or clog up the ujoints with powder.

Well the half shafts are under the car.
The guy that is going to paint the car is pushing me to powder coat something.
He got some powder coating stuff and wants to try it out.
Hes says that he can make them look like chrome almost.
Can powder coat look like chrome?

Can powder coat look like chrome?[/QUOTE]

Almost chrome but you will be able to tell it's not. I think not on doing the half shalf assembled. Grease and 400 degrees will have some type of dissagreement at one point.

Danny

Well the half shafts are under the car.

That's a problem, how do you want to get them in the oven if they're under the car ?

The guy that is going to paint the car is pushing me to powder coat something.

Ask him how he's going to sandblast or otherwise clean the shafts from old paint and grease prior to powder application (if he leaves them on the car).

He got some powder coating stuff and wants to try it out.

Ask him to show you parts that he powdercoated.... he might just be looking for something he can practice on AND get paid for it....

Hes says that he can make them look like chrome almost.

It won't look like chrome if he doesn't remove the shafts and clean the old paint off....

What I mean by they are under the car is that no one realy can see them maybe from the back alittle.
Practice is exactly what he is looking for.
I do not have to pay for practice.
Even if they do not look perfect there under the car.

I have been powder coating parts for a couple years now,and it is a great way to protect parts and it looks good too. But like painting,how good it will look is all in the prep work. And do not pc the 1/2 shafts with u-joints still on them,you will have a stinky,smokey mess on your hands.