Trim rings

DARROW 74

What were original trim rings made from? I think mine are original and a magnet will stick to them. Some tell me they were ss non magnetic. ????

How can you tell if its ss, I know if you overheat ss it will become magnetic. ( from destructive testing on sale boats)

PS the oil coolers I picked up are real nice just what I needed. How are your windows?

Last edited:
400 series stainless is magnetic. That's the stuff many exhaust systems are made from, it turns brown but doesn't rust. It's a lot cheaper than 304 stainless which is pretty much the best you can buy.

SS trim rings and chrome center caps are standard. They have four steel clips are on them to hold them on the rim. Years 1978 to 1982.

Danny

400 series stainless is magnetic. That's the stuff many exhaust systems are made from, it turns brown but doesn't rust. It's a lot cheaper than 304 stainless which is pretty much the best you can buy.

I know that snap cleats and other assorted 'marine/boat' parts I used years ago for my small sail boats would 'weep' with rust stains, but it was not destructive looking for the parts themselves, nore did they outright fail on account of it....just stained the deck.....

I know that some stainless, the type NOT used for gun making by agreement between our Feds and the makers 'worldwide?'....dunno but some stainless can't be seen by a pulse field metal detector, the eddy current decay time being as short as most other common metals carried every day, like watches, rings, lighters, belt buckles.....the industry standard used to be a 4" chunk of steel about 1/2" diameter....WAS the FAA industry standard test piece some 20 years ago.....today, I notice they getting everyone to strip all metal off, so they closing the receive gate into the area much closer to mid level security, they can't do true high sense or you get into surgical stainless, and even tooth fillings....

sut either 300 or 500 series 'stainless' was NOT seen by they typical walk through machines back then.....

now a RF machine could, but the false alarm rate was/is WAY in hell to high due to way too much EMI/RFI found around any typical airport.....

due to working with the gear so much I can quote the gate and pulse widths today.....

but I forget the coil loops as those were just a production item and not subject to much change as due to the magnetic field /health restrictions.....

:shocking: so I KNOW that back in the day, I could have made a gun out of the proper stainless and walked through any of the machines out there and on to a aircraft.....

:rofl::rofl::shocking: