Spreader bar forces and heim joint size requirement.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I'm mulling over making a spreader bar for my "new" frame. Due to the big block engine, room is a bit tight. My understanding is that during cornering, the outside (of the corner) upper A-arm bracket is subjected to the greater force, and pulled in the direction of the outside of the turn. (The inside bracket is pushed, rather than pulled, towards the outside of the turn also.) If the forces were equal, it's my impression that the bar would essentially be useless. But, with the difference in suspension/cornering force of the two front tires, the bar should be under tension during cornering (assuming the A-arm pivot points are flexing). Correct? Now, with my tight room up front, I'm considering using some smaller heim joints (3/8"), and associated tubing. I have some 3/8" heim joints from McMaster-Carr rated at 5100 pounds. Are there any issues that I'm not understanding here that would prevent using these heim joints?

I don't know, I have the VBP support setup I got unused from Patnitrovette....

been several years now....5-6.....

been on the car since just after my last wheel alignment....that's been some time, rught around when Pete79L82 got me to raise the inner tie rod position...

:thumbs: all I can say is the VBP support works fine, nice addition for us with electric fans....

:harhar:

I'm mulling over making a spreader bar for my "new" frame. Due to the big block engine, room is a bit tight. My understanding is that during cornering, the outside (of the corner) upper A-arm bracket is subjected to the greater force, and pulled in the direction of the outside of the turn. (The inside bracket is pushed, rather than pulled, towards the outside of the turn also.) If the forces were equal, it's my impression that the bar would essentially be useless. But, with the difference in suspension/cornering force of the two front tires, the bar should be under tension during cornering (assuming the A-arm pivot points are flexing). Correct? Now, with my tight room up front, I'm considering using some smaller heim joints (3/8"), and associated tubing. I have some 3/8" heim joints from McMaster-Carr rated at 5100 pounds. Are there any issues that I'm not understanding here that would prevent using these heim joints?

What's your timeframe? I have access to some new old stock on suspension. This stuff sold for $2000 new, I can get you the set for $500. It has both front and rear components, you do have to buy 20 heim joints which range from $3 each to $15 bucks each, up to you. I'm going for the teflon sleeved ones for $9 each.

You can have it today, but I'm installing it in my car in April. I'll take pics and such so you can see it.

Let me know.

What's your timeframe? I have access to some new old stock on suspension. This stuff sold for $2000 new, I can get you the set for $500. It has both front and rear components, you do have to buy 20 heim joints which range from $3 each to $15 bucks each, up to you. I'm going for the teflon sleeved ones for $9 each.

You can have it today, but I'm installing it in my car in April. I'll take pics and such so you can see it.

Let me know.

Not sure what you've got there, but pictures are always a plus.

my engineer buddy says any additional structural rigidity is good structural rigidity. will it be heavy duty enough to last the life of the car? dunno. will it add some level of structural stiffness? undoubtedly. now if you were making a-arms, i might be concerned, but a failure of this particular component isn't going to put you into a wall. i'd say build it with what you have. check it after every run and if you start to see excessive wear or the like, you know the answer. if you do 'due diligence' and check it at regular intervals, odds are highly in your favor that you're going to catch it well before you have a failure.