Compressor air inlet filter

MYBAD79

I've had it with the expensive Husky replacement filters. I fabbed a inlet filter housing from a funnel and used paper coffee filters - that worked just fine and it was cheap to replace the filters... the air flow was more than sufficient. But it was pretty darn ugly:

100_1774Small.jpg

Found this universal air filter on Ebay:

214967e974ac427.jpg

Now does this look cool or what ??? :lol:

I've had it with the expensive Husky replacement filters. I fabbed a inlet filter housing from a funnel and used paper coffee filters - that worked just fine and it was cheap to replace the filters... the air flow was more than sufficient. But it was pretty darn ugly:

100_1774Small.jpg

Found this universal air filter on Ebay:

214967e974ac427.jpg

Now does this look cool or what ??? :lol:

Do you have any pics of your iron piping setup(how many feet before the filter?)?

Don't have any pics but it's about 20 feet of 1/2" pipes and 3/4" pipes with ellbows and a drain at a dead end (like a trap or drain pot).
I just used whatever pipes I had laying around. If you really want to get scientific you can put the pipe assembly in a tub with water and ice - that way the air is forced to cool down and more moisture will be trapped in the filter/dryer. Maybe more important here in Florida during the summer.

I am using a DeVilbiss desiccant "snake" between the regulator and the gun - seems to work fine... it's about $50 but that's cheap compared to sanding paint back off the car....

Must be a high performance air compressor to need a K&N filter!! I've seen guys fab a funnel and use a 14" diameter carb air filter too.

Maybe a cold air intake next ?? LOL

Hey, the filter was only $8.10 shipped.... can't complain... sometimes there are good deals on Ebay....:1st:

Maybe a cold air intake next ?? LOL

Hey, the filter was only $8.10 shipped.... can't complain... sometimes there are good deals on Ebay....:1st:

That's really pretty serious.
There are a couple of local outfits that specialize in rebuilding industrial compressors (the really good ones), and they have told me that the prime reason for failure is a poor intake air and of course maintenance.
They said the best thing to do is put on a good filter and run the duct to the outside up high for the cleanest air.
They said the body shop and granite shop compressors are plugged with crap from their dust and don't last nearly as long as they should.

The one I posted above was built in 1965.

That's really pretty serious.

I know... but the ricer filter is sure funny....

There are a couple of local outfits that specialize in rebuilding industrial compressors (the really good ones), and they have told me that the prime reason for failure is a poor intake air and of course maintenance.
They said the best thing to do is put on a good filter and run the duct to the outside up high for the cleanest air.
They said the body shop and granite shop compressors are plugged with crap from their dust and don't last nearly as long as they should.

The one I posted above was built in 1965.

I did consider running the inlet suction line to the outside. The inlet is a 3/4" thread I think so I could run 1 1/2" PVC line to the outside ... but that's about 20' and I'd have to disassemble it and get the filter inside.... otherwise somebody might steal it, it fits Hondas per the seller's description :rofl:

Hummm I found a box in the basement with and old yellow Accell super coil I used to have on another car, that would of give it another life. Would look nice on the bar-b-que

Geez Ill have to look more into those boxes that was stuff I thought I lost when we moved here.

Heck we're starting to sound like Tim the toolman. :yahoo:

Last edited: